Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Users who impose their beliefs on others

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Users who impose their beliefs on others

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I definately agree with some of the major points made in the inital post by Matthew, especially in regard to tolerance. But I don't agree with bringing what was directed in PM to a moderator/admin out for the general public in these forums...

My reasoning comes from a recent experience with forum administrators that had a very positive outcome. I had a post some weeks ago that I decided I would rather have removed than left out there, and had the moderator that so kindly assisted me decided rather to make an example out of my PM, make no mistake it would be my last post on these forums, technical or otherwise.

I don't pass judgment on others for their beliefs or choices in their lives, If you're happy with the choices YOU make and aren't harming anyone, then all the power in the world to you. All that being said, I would be pretty damn fired up if I addressed something to an admin in a PM and it was made a public example out of. Given the context, I don't think it matters how many similar messages that admin gets about the issue. However one person believes is how they believe. As a forum administrator, one of the hardest parts of your job is that you have to find a diplomatic way to handle things like this. If you want more members to respect the culture of and diversity these forums are made of, a great place for that to start is from our moderators by respecting the privacy of PM's. I'm not trying to say Matthew is a bad moderator, I do not feel that way one bit. Quite the contrary. Matthew in fact responded after the fact, to my request to remove my unwanted post and he was very respectful. It was the first time I had ever asked a moderator/admin to do something like this on this forum. I am only bringing this up because Matthew talked about leading by example, which is a very important part of the point he was making. I dont think some of the followup was a very good example of how moderators/admins should behave with PMs directed to them. If the user wanted it to be public, they would have posted publicly. Given the context, it really makes no difference if a name was used or not. His first post was pointed, very well written, and I think received well by the members. It was diplomatic and respectful. Having been a forum admin before for a rather large forum, I totally relate to how flustered some peoples PM's can get.

my .02
    You have a good point that I never considered. I blew it. My (belated) apologies to the unnamed sender of the PM. It's probably too late for removing it to be of any value, but I will take this to heart in the future.

<-at myself for not thinking of this...I could have made something up that was similar, but not a direct quote, etc., and still made my point. I made a note for the future.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!

I think a part of every forum, thread, reply, etc, someone is trying to impose some part of themselves onto others, and as long as it goes with the group mind-set of the forum, folks are ok with it. For instance, we get some folks on here passionately trying to convert folks over to using whatever Linux app they prefer using for whatever issue (EG: using Abi-word as your word-processor instead of Open Office Writer). But, when it goes beyond the scope of the forum, like someone pushing their religious, sexual, moral, etc beliefs onto others, that's really annoying.

Aside from the forum conduct rules, there's usually additional unspoken group consensus on what's considered moral behavior and lewd or immoral behavior. For instance, we try to abstain from harsh language. But folks occasionally slip it in. So what. It's just a part of life, and sometimes it helps emphasize something (as long as EVERYTHING isn't a swear word, because then everything loses emphasis).

But, I really pity the person who wigs out about someone using "foul language" (the dreaded "p" word in this case), because...
    • a) it means they're extremely sheltered and have never been around regular folks talking if they get wigged out about it so easily, and
    • b) it means they're self-centered ... they want everyone to conform to their standards

This whole Political Correctness and Vocal Minority crap is really getting out of hand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

+1
    Regardless of the infringement on this user's privacy, if you don't like what you are reading, read somewhere else.
    Darn, I've gone and given the troll a bone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Last edited by bapoumba; January 5th, 2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: You're a star now ;)
    After taking several readings i'm suprised to find my mind is still faily sound.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, the person that got offended is entitled to their beliefs. And I sort of feel bad for bagging on them for speaking their mind. You don't want to berate them to the point of not speaking up in the future when they might actually have a valid complaint. It's just that they need to get some perspective on the issue. Or maybe they should have just approached it from a more neutral stance.

EG: from a public service stand-point, like...
    • "I think there's a person using language that's inappropriate to a forum that children and people at work view. Your forum didn't auto-censor it, so I'm not sure, but could you please look into it?"
    ...it sounds like a reasonable request. But when they take the "world revolves around me / do as i say" stand-point...
    • "OMG! This person is using language that I PERSONALLY find OFFENSIVE and VULGAR! You're a mod so I DEMAND that you do something about it NOW!"
    ...it sounds like they're blowing the issue out of proportion and telling someone how to do their job, which is completely rude.

Well, I hope whomever used that offensive "p" word (which the forum doesn't censor) was properly chewed out with a scathing IM or email before their IP was banned permanently from this and any other sites affiliated with Ubuntu. That's the proper thing to do after all. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic...)

Beans
    Hidden!

I've had a look at some of the earlier posts in this thread. Here are some thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonne View Post
    We need a Firefox extension that filters out/replaces offending words for the easily offended (when loading websites, not when posting). The easily offended can install it, while the rest of us can use whichever words we want...
    There are possibilities: The Linksys router I use has a filter that blocks out websites that contains words or reference of an administrators choice. I've heard of set-top boxes that use the closed caption system to "beep" out potentially offensive material. Perhaps something that combines both ideas might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    What is "Christian bashing"? Please define it.
    There is "christianity" and "christianity". Sometimes the loudest objectors to certain things are un-Christian and don't realise it.

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    "pissed off" offended someone? rofl. get a grip whoever you are. good luck in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarath View Post
    Welcome to the Internet

Those easily offended or of a nervous disposition please look away now.
    +100
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tundro Walker View Post
    Or maybe they should have just approached it from a more neutral stance.

EG: from a public service stand-point, like...
    • "I think there's a person using language that's inappropriate to a forum that children and people at work view. Your forum didn't auto-censor it, so I'm not sure, but could you please look into it?"
    ...it sounds like a reasonable request. But when they take the "world revolves around me / do as i say" stand-point...
    • "OMG! This person is using language that I PERSONALLY find OFFENSIVE and VULGAR! You're a mod so I DEMAND that you do something about it NOW!"
    ...it sounds like they're blowing the issue out of proportion and telling someone how to do their job, which is completely rude.
    That was a huge part of my main point. Thank you. You get it.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Just FYI, everyone. I have received a couple of really grumpy private messages from two specific users who were certain I was referring to them when I wrote the post. I wasn't, but in retrospect I could have been. One was quite angry and has vowed not to participate in the forums, except in the technical areas...I told him I thought that was a wise decision and he wasn't real happy with me.

Count me officially amused.

On that note, I am going to get some sleep now.
    matthew, are you absolutely sure what that "P-word" was?

I'm thinking that it has to be: Paranoid, and to the power of 2 no less.

And I'm certain you had a peaceful sleep as well.
    Bruce

PS: Great Post - Thread, I agree with you.

Beans

I'm so tired of people not accepting my beliefs as their own, and constantly offending me by disagreeing with my obviously always correct viewpoint!

I would therefore like to impose the belief that others shouldn't impose their beliefs on others (excluding this one), ever.

IMHO, those who offend are not the ones in the wrong -- the ones who take offense are. If no one would ever take offense to anything, no one could offend anyone else, and we could all hold hands and sing Kumbuya.

Matthew, you're totally in the right, and you have one of the most difficult jobs out there. Great job, and thanks. =D>

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    So insteed we should say somethign like #@#$@%@%$#@^$Windows&$%*$#%^^@%&$&$#%^HDD%%@%^@%^$ @%^@^Ubuntu!@$#%#@%@?
    Oh, oh, OH! Can I please translate this?

PLEASE!

Good, no one said: NO! So there is only one other answer: Yes!

OK, here goes:

asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33;3889986 is logging into the Ubuntu Forums.

Translation: "And I had such an easy Windows user name. Nope, HDD isn't it, now just what the heck is my Ubuntu user name?"

Of course I cleaned up the language so as not to offend anyone.

No offence meant asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33;3889986, but it was just too good to pass up.

{ducking and dodging the tomatoes}

Bruce

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast