Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Quote Originally Posted by miwaypet View Post
    Is this still a viable distro. There is nothing coming from the torrent.
    It appears not. The web site has not been maintained (I think they had to change their name due to trademark issues they were not allowed to use "ubuntu" or variants).

The links are all to Pirate Bay torrents, and Pirate bay has been shut down.

There is no additional information on the Launchpad site either.

I think the question would be, what do people wish to see in a Buddhist edition?

Art / Theme ?
    Specific packages ?

Which window manager ?

Buddhist scripture ?

What are the goals of the project and who is willing to maintain it ?

I would suggest keeping it as close to Ubuntu as possible, basically then it would be a theme.

To be honest, if you look at the other remixes they are (basically) a theme, squid/dansguardian, and info / links specific to a religion.

Personally I am going to do a re-spin, waiting for Karmic to be more stable. Right now my respin looks like a few Buddhist themes + some security enhancements. I am no fan of wither dansguardian by default or including religious scripture in a distro, plenty of sites available on the net. Could include a set of firefox bookmarks.

In terms of security enhancements, the live CD will have an active firewall (ufw enabled by default) + a working set of apparmor profiles for network apps. This is all working, the hold up is that in karmic:

1. There is no easy way to change the gdm theme as of yet.

2. Empathy (IM) is not working at all for me in Karmic.

3. I seem to have some issues with firefox 3.5.x , extensions now and again hand (will not update). This is NOT related to apparmor.

By default I have two window managers, xfce and fluxbox. Need to customize the fluxbox menu.

The default shell is zsh and the terminal is customized to include display-dhammpaada by default.

Once Karmic is a bit more stable I can do a respin, probably avoiding the ubuntu trademark.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I think the question would be, what do people wish to see in a Buddhist edition?

<snip>

I would suggest keeping it as close to Ubuntu as possible, basically then it would be a theme.
    That sounds like a good approach to me. Some art/theme, links to resources, etc, would be sufficient for my purposes.

Once Karmic is a bit more stable I can do a respin, probably avoiding the ubuntu trademark.
    I like that you display the Dhammapada passage and right afterward provide the Discordian date (ddate).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dude-is-um... What ever...
    Volunteer artist(s) needed for open source game project!
    _________________________BioTux_________________
    ________________BioTux Development Forum__________

Beans

I made a wallpaper for this project. What do you guys think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

or two toes rapping
    My best friend gave me the best device! -Tickelback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is there a kind soul out there willing to burn me a copy and post it to South Africa? We are starved for bandwidth down here, so downloading a DVD off the net is prohibitively expensive. Would love to share this with my Shambala meditation group.

Anybody, just post to PO Box 4398
    Cape Town 8000
    South Africa

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree, a DVD is too large. My respin is a CD, just under 500 mb

The biggest "problem" with my respin is that I am using 9.04, so that means almost hourly package updates, 9.10 bugs, and right now I can not easily change the uspalsh or gdm theme.

I added a set of BG images , as icon for the menu, and a theme for the terminal, UFW and Apparmor are working. Need to finish work of Fluxbox and add some bookmarks for websites / resources. If anyone has any suggestions send me a PM =)

The DVD image is no longer available as it was posted as a torrent on Pirate Bay.

No updates to the old site.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; September 14th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans

I really like the idea but i can't seem to find any seeders

could someone either seed, or PM me a hyperlink to a filehosting website that has it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am closing this thread for the following reasons:

1. The project does not appear to be maintained any longer.
    2. The projects current site hasn't been updated in months.
    3. The project is not distributed on any peer reviewed sites like launchpad or sourceforge

Thank you all for participating.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think closing this thread is a good idea as the original project is no longer maintained, however ...

I have started a new project - Zenbuntu

Zenbuntu is in the beginning stages and my goals are to build a community of those interested in Buddhism.

Our web page is :

zenbuntu.net

The web page is also in development (yes it is a bit scant and need some theming).

If you IRC we are on irc @ freenode or ubuntu servers at ##Zenbuntu

I should have a remix available with the Ubuntu 9.10 release and the plan is to release a remix every 6 months in sync with Ubuntu.

If you are interested in helping, come on by. Any assistance would be appreciated from artwork to developers (we are NOT forking from Ubuntu, but we probably need to make a meta package zenbuntu-desktop). Again, this is an Ubuntu remix with a goal of bringing the community together.

I have a few other people who have expressed an interest in the project and will probably make a page on LP as well (to track team activity).

We will be beta testing soon (I hope to have a Beta in the next few days).

When I have more information I will give additional information.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930