Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Store ???

Beans
    Hidden!

Store ???

Is it only me, didn't like the smell of software centre?

The previous "Store" name, the shopping bag icon, mentioning "Price: Free" for currently available applications....

There is nothing wrong if Canonical wants to make some money or planning to do that, but should this "pay" thing be a part of the OS ?

So what was that Ubuntu promise thing about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Store ???

Their intention is to make both free and paid application to be available in the Softoware Center, I don't think there will be any paid applications in the next year or so.

It has both an advantage and a disadvantage:
    -It'll encourage software makers to support Linux more, maybe (being optimistic) it'll even lead to Linux versions of software like Photoshop, Flash, Sony Vegas...
    -It'll encourage free-software makers to charge a small fee for their applications.
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like the whole Software Center thing as long as it doesn't turn out to be every program costing 39.99 or more like all of the programs for MS.

Beans
    Hidden!

May be it will.
    And may be I'm paranoic about it.

What is a desktop any way isn't it the OS + Apps.

So when apps which you have to pay for will arrive it won't be 100% opensource any more, right?.......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would like to keep commenting but everything that comes to mind appears to be a rant or whining and I don't like doing either. After all, the devs have to get paid, right?

Beans

I'm willing to bet you are no where near 100% open source anyway.

Flash (official) isnt open source, nvidia drivers aren't open source, and many others too, those are just the headline acts.

If I were you, I'd relax a bit, either way, its Canonical's right to take the distro in whatever direction they choose, and I view all of this as using metaphors more familiar for new users (who are after all, ubuntu's stated primary target).

Either way, there are plenty of options (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu) if this kind of thing truly bothers you, just make the choice to use one of them instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not whining here there are still many choices out there.
    And the devs have their choices too.
    I like ubuntu, It was my dor to linux, and I never thought about alternatives to ubuntu till the "Store" thing.
    Just wish that ubuntu will still have the same principles which brought many new users to use it.
    Last edited by samirbasha; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

By the way, anybody knows why the name was changed from "ubuntu software store" to "ubuntu software center" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it will encourage developers to make software in similar fashion for ubuntu as iphone and android.

it will be a good thing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast