Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Quote Originally Posted by rainvoice View Post
    For this reason i also would favour a metapackage.
    You could have both, like the Ubuntu Christian Edition has: a full CD and a script to add the Christian part to a regular Ubuntu install.

Beans

I just wanted to bump this and find out if folks are still interested in this project. I also like the idea of a metapackage. When you think about it 99% of the distro would be identical so why go to the trouble of creating a whole new iso? Also I imagine it would mean that anyone using a debian derivative would be able to install the packages?

Perhaps we could compile a large amount of text to include. After all the dharma isn't copyrighted Also someone mentioned sites like Access to Insight. A lot of sites like that and buddhanet.net have text and pdf files for download. Maybe we could get permission to include them.

I like the idea of having some sort of daily dharma study application. Sort of like daily devotional applications that Christians use.

metta,
    Gatton

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gatton View Post
    I just wanted to bump this and find out if folks are still interested in this project. I also like the idea of a metapackage. When you think about it 99% of the distro would be identical so why go to the trouble of creating a whole new iso? Also I imagine it would mean that anyone using a debian derivative would be able to install the packages?

Perhaps we could compile a large amount of text to include. After all the dharma isn't copyrighted Also someone mentioned sites like Access to Insight. A lot of sites like that and buddhanet.net have text and pdf files for download. Maybe we could get permission to include them.

I like the idea of having some sort of daily dharma study application. Sort of like daily devotional applications that Christians use.

metta,
    Gatton
    If you need artwork, let me know, but that is about all I can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes!

We must have a Buddhist Edition! That way, there will be an enduring entity with a well-defined essence that we can enjoy.

Metapackage? Is that your chariot, King Milinda?

Actually first perhaps to identify which packages, etc. would be helpful. Aside from more robust asian language support, I cannot imagine.

But I am interested.

I use Open Office for Sanskrit with no problems and some of the Ubuntu Studio packages for making scripture recordings.
    Last edited by ÜbuntuMensch; February 18th, 2008 at 01:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I like the idea of just making meta-packages instead of creating a whole new distro unless we do something like what opengeu did.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Will the Buddhist edition give you all sorts of impossible conundrums to solve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan

e.g. Keyboard not detected, press any key to continue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Will the Buddhist edition give you all sorts of impossible conundrums to solve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan

e.g. Keyboard not detected, press any key to continue...

That's pretty funny.

Here's my desktop, only because it relates vaguely to the thread topic...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I just removed posts from here going on about how people shouldn't exercise their freedoms.

So, I moved them to Recurring Discussions, where they belong (see sticky in RD).

Moving posts is a pain. Please don't make me do it again. You wouldn't like me when I am...cranky.

Beans

how about a bump, is this actually going to become a project, i say it should

Beans

nice one, its a great gift for society. People need inner peace in there minds when they are useing the ubuntu. anything that is conducive to that is a blessing in my eyes. And its a brave thing to do. Check out the resistance your getting. You don't have to be brave to be a Buddhist... but it helps!
    All things are impermanent.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast