Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

I'll check this out later when I have a little more time...

Beans
    Distro

Hi jasballz,

I'd like to make a suggestion on renaming the distro. Because what you have done so far is very clearly based in the Zen Buddhist tradition I suggest you rename it Zenbuntu, or something similar. Really if a Tibetan Buddhist or even Chinese Buddhist looked at what you are putting together they wouldn't feel much connection to what you're doing.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! 84,000 teachings and all that! Just thought the name should better reflect the distro.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jasballz View Post
    Hey all,

What do you folks think about the homepage?

http://buddhabuntu.8m.net
    Er, what size screen did you design that for? On 1024x768 you've got the ads on the right stomping all over your title. Personally I don't like liquid designs because they misbehave like this really easily. Fixed width on page elements lets you control your layout a lot better.

I wouldn't bother designing for 800x600 any more, but 1024x768 is still a really common resolution.

As for the content, put your "History of Buddhabuntu" at the top and then explain (in one sentence) what the project actually is. People need to be able to work out what your page is about in the first few seconds, then give them obvious links to take some kind of action. Otherwise they'll just get confused and surf away.

Loving the logo though! Keep up the good work!

Beans
    Distro

Yah, the logo is great.

Beans

tree surf: on "zenbuntu" I like the idea, but if someone else could mod the logo Id appreciate it. My library (if you download distro alpha 1 you'll see) includes documents from all traditions, though I agree that there is a particular emphasis upon Zen, especially with the Logo and all.

Paqman: good idea, will do, tho its supposed to be funny, yah in Windows 7 no problem, but in Ubuntu you have to close the side ad. Im hoping someone will buy the domain name for us. its like 12 bucks a month.

Fixed the site.
    Last edited by jasballz; March 19th, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: needed more optimism

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jasballz View Post
    its like 12 bucks a month.
    It's not even that. You can get hosting for $5 a month, with a free domain name.

Beans

made changes to site. anyone feel free to buy the site Good package picture or should be deleted?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jasballz; March 17th, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Links are still blue... yikes. Clashes quite a bit... unless some sort of CSS isn't loading properly...

Beans

Red face Re: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Hey all,

This is a lengthy post so get out your RockStar and some popcorn and sit back.

Zenbuntu: Here's a splash and color-enhanced package picture for buddhabuntu. WHich is better, old package or new?

I'm going to try to make a Zenbuntu logo for comparison or possible change. Maybe we could do "Tibetbuntu, Purelanduntu, etc" logos for quick change in the Buddhabuntu distro. Anyone feel like working on that?

Though I admit I prefer "Buddhabuntu" considering all the work I've put into the logo(s)/artwork already. Please comment on the black splash and the other distro package pic as I was thnking about replacing the old distro pic.

What about how the lib is expanded. Got therv, mahaya, tibet, ozbud, genbud and zenbud in root/Library/txts doesn't that include the general population of Buddhists? I understand that I may have a bias towards Zen since those are my roots. If anyone wants to make a multisect distro (if they feel this is not so multisect) please feel free, but I think that this is pretty multisect. Any ideas how to make it more multisect? Maybe multiple package options with themes specefic to Tibetan, Theravada (Indian, and other), Mayahana, Namu Amidu, Zen (Thai, Korean, Indonesian, Chinese, and Japanese) sects. Also want country/culture specefic inclusion for other sects (theme manager and language) but I don't know the details. I'd like to also include Japanese Shinto, Ryukan, Jodo-kyo, Nichiren mods/themes, and American Tibetan, Zen Buddhism. Would somebody work on this so that people indigenous to these religions/cultures would feel comfortable using the distro? (theme and language packages?)

There's a plethora of specefic sects to every main division of Buddhism. Does anybody want to research these and suggest mods/themes to the distro that may be included in the package for instant switching? Also looking for someone to upload sect and country-specefic mods/themes for inclusion so that we can keep the name "Buddhabuntu". I want it to be a universal distro package.

Working on distro Alpha 2. Tried the liveCD from Buddhist International Studies and KDE didn't work on my Acer. Thinking about renaming the iso from BuddhistSlax to ShitSlax as a wordplay ("Where is the Buddha?" "On the shitpaper in the john outside") and including it in the package. Also because its ******. I took out the Sanskrit encoding doc and put it in /root/. Tried Reconstructor but disappointed with results. Modded Ubuntu LiveCD splash too, but trying to incorporate into iso. How do you do this?

Still looking for someone to buy the site and a redirect at buddhabuntu.net and take off the top ad and a Google top sites link.

Plus I still don't know how to interface the OS with complearngui or complearnlib. Having trouble installing PersonalBrain due to java stuff, but that will serve as the directory to the lib etc.

Compiled an Alpha 2 LiveCD from Intrepid LiveCD with Reconstructor but I don't think it really is any different. Have to try, and upload.

So far buddhabuntu.tar.gz at myfiles/ (admin@buddhabuntu.net pword: developers) is just a lib that could be attached to any OS.

Thnking Zen shout as start up.

If I'm taking over too much let me no! I'm stressing on this.
    Last edited by jasballz; March 18th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

treesurf: here's a working zenbuntu logo
    Last edited by jasballz; March 18th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast