Thread: Massachusetts InstallFest - Q1 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Lightbulb Massachusetts InstallFest - Q1 2008

All,

In my wanderings, I have discovered a musical group in the Boston area called "Convey". The reason I like them is (a) they are good, and (b) distribute their music digitally with Creative Commons license through Jamendo. This is appealing because CC is to artists and performers what F/OSS is to software engineers and computer users.

So... I e-mailed them, and they expressed interest in playing during the upcoming Fest. Would a couple other people support this and help me work out the technical details, and such? Since I have never been to a Fest before... I am not sure how things would be setup in regards to staging and scheduling.

BTW... d/l their music from their site. http://www.conveymusic.com and check out their gig at All Asia in Cambridge on Dec 15.

-Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Massachusetts InstallFest - Q1 2008

Nevermind helping out... would others support the idea of there being live music at the Fest?

My thoughts are that music+installFest would be more likely to attract a bigger crowd... though I have not been to an installFest before and I welcome input from the community.

So, help out the community and click "Reply" so you can share your thoughts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think that having live music would be an interesting hook for the 'Fest, but can we try it out with recorded/streamed music first? The primary reason for the 'Fest is to attract and work with as wide a range of people as possible. Music that's too loud or of one style can interfere with that, so I'd rather try the concept out with something easily controlled.
    ===
    Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I agree that having live music at the install fest would be cool. However you assumption about CC licenses is not entirely correct. There is no such thing as one CC license there are many different types of licenses which are issued through CC. Many of them are restrictive licenses. So just make sure you read through each licensing agreement there before deciding whether it is permissive.

Beans

Is this install fest going to happen? Will it be on Jan 12 at MIT Media Lab? The install fest page for that date is empty.
    If that one is not going to happen or the details have changed, does anyone know of a linux (any flavor) install fest in the area (within an hour or two of southern NH) in the near future? Any info much appreciated.
    Last edited by JRobert; January 5th, 2008 at 08:49 PM.

Beans

We will be discussing the next installfest(s) and lots of other things at the next meeting. As for getting to the installfests, I live about 15 minutes south of Nashua so we could certainly car-pool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leftyfb View Post
    We will be discussing the next installfest(s) and lots of other things at the next meeting. As for getting to the installfests, I live about 15 minutes south of Nashua so we could certainly car-pool.
    Thanks for the offer to car-pool - that makes sense to me...

If I'm not mistaken, that meeting isn't until later in Jan implying no install fest on Jan 12? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd hate to miss the event!