Thread: bug fixing for Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bug fixing for Ubuntu

I taught myself python recently and was looking for an outlet for my new skills- should i try bug fixing for Heron? I dont want to accidentally screw something up but i am interested in being able to help develop a project. Should I try something smaller first just in case i screw up something?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: bug fixing for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by meanburrito920 View Post
    I taught myself python recently and was looking for an outlet for my new skills- should i try bug fixing for Heron?
    Mmm... yes?

Quote Originally Posted by meanburrito920 View Post
    Should I try something smaller first just in case i screw up something?
    Mmm... yes?

Are these serious concerns? Seems like these are questions that only you could answer. And you are not even sure.

And you do not get into bugfixing immediately by learning Python. What do you want to debug? Not everything is written in Python. You need to know C, C++, Java, and C# too.
    Learning to make Debian packages is a plus. Hint: there is a subforum on packaging.

Bugfixing is a constant process that includes code review and small participation from the community. I think most developers would like to have someone working on documentation before having another code monkey working on their precious code.

I don't want to sound too harsh. I'm sure you know of the many ways one can contribute to open source, so good luck.