Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FreedroidRPG - my first COMPILED game :-D

Beans

Re: FreedroidRPG - my first COMPILED game :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Camlost View Post
    He is just compiling it. And he is proub of it I was too the first time I managed to compile a program. I like this tread and his input here, and also his efforts of making a .deb of it. I have a lot to learn in that department
    See, now I thought it was the OP's first program, and then I go to look at the screenshots... Definitely not the "Hello, world" I remember!

Nice job on compiling and making your first .deb!

Beans

Code:
    ldd ./freedroidRPG
    MANY THANKS, dfreer!!
    This command is really a hot piece of hint! =)))

With this little helper, I can go for more soon...
    Btw., what can I do if I have some dependency-collisions with different versions of installed and needed packages? Do I need a cross-compiler for that?

Oh and, how and where can I upload a .deb package for others to share it? Using the forum's attachment function doesn't work somehow...

perixx
    Last edited by perixx; December 3rd, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look into Launchpad.net's PPA (Personal Package Archive) program.

Beans

Thx Vadi, for the hint - I'll do that anytime soon!

Here's another good forum link on solving dependency problems along the hard compilation way:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=ubuntu+upload

perixx

Beans

I've been successful in compiling the Subversion/SVN (formerly CVS) developer's version in the meantime:

1. subversion has to be installed via Synaptic.

2. the following command at a terminal is needed:
    Code:
    svn co https://freedroid.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freedroid ~/SVN/FD
    It will 'checkout' (download) the latest source files from sourceforge to the stated folder: ~/SVN/FD (can be changed of course).

3. in the terminal, go to ~/SVN/FD (or folder where freedroidRPG-files reside) and type:
    Code:
    sh autogen.sh
    now wait till it's finished.
    NOTE:You may need to install 'autotools', along with some other packages, via Synaptic; refer to this link here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=3

For additionally required dependencies, see post #16 below!

4. Next type this command and wait till it's done:
    Code:
    ./configure
    Afterwards you type and wait for
    Code:
    make
    Should you get some weird warning message like mentioned here, simply ignore it:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643548
    NOTE: The game should already run by now, when going into the /src folder and running 'freedroidRPG'!

5. If you like to install it and create a .deb package, run
    Code:
    checkinstall
    Note: if there are several different versions named, type the menu-number that refers to the stored versions and re-type it, so it only shows up once in the 'checkinstall' menu. Commence.

After finished, you should have a new .deb package availible, along with an installed new version of freedroidRPG! You should be able to find the binary in /usr/local/bin/freedroidRPG and make a starter to there, the actual game files reside in /usr/local/share/freedroidrpg.

Happy gaming / creating levels for the devels
    perixx
    Last edited by perixx; March 15th, 2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Compilation info update

Beans

I posted this to the FDRPG maillist a while back, but I guess it cant hurt to repeat it here.

---
    Compile FreedroidRPG from source
    on
    Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron
    Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex
    Ubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope
    Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala
    Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx
    Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverik Meerkat

(Should work on Xubuntu/Kubuntu/etc and probably most other versions too, do let us know)

1) First lets ensure you got the required Ubuntu packages for compiling FreedroidRPG.

Open a terminal window/console and:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libsdl1.2-dev libjpeg62-dev zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev
    For sound you also need
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
    2) Download latest sources (freedroidrpg-*.tar.bz2) and extract/unpack it.

https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ckage_id=58238

3) cd to the folder you just extracted in a terminal window/console and
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    4) To play just
    Code:
    cd src/
    ./freedroidRPG
    Instead of step 4, one can also sudo make install , but usually it's more convenient to just run from the source location since you might update often (especially if using the development version) and you dont risk problems with your package manager installing conflicting versions. The checkinstall tool mentioned in the post above mine works too.

---

For the development (SVN) version you would also in step 1 need to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install subversion autoconf
    Step 2) would instead be to download the source via SVN
    Code:
    svn co https://freedroid.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freedroid path/to/folder/of/your/choise
    and step 3 would need to have
    Code:
    ./autogen.sh
    before ./configure

---

If you try this with other versions of Ubuntu than listed, please post your success including any modifications to above procedure you might have needed to make it work.
    Last edited by stedevil; December 11th, 2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: update

Beans

A little off-topic, but related to use FD under Ubuntu (localized):

Quoting from the README in your FD folder:

Changing language in game will not work by default since Ubuntu does not ship with standard ISO locales, only UTF-8 versions. You will have to manually add them to make language selection work.

Procedure:

1) In commandline write
    Code:
    sudo nano /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local
    2) Add the locales you are interested in, 1 entry on each line, e.g.
    de_DE ISO-8859-15
    fr_FR ISO-8859-15
    sv_SE ISO-8859-15
    ru_RU.cp1251 cp1251
    and then exit with ctrl+x and yes to saving the changes.
    Now run your game and choose your preferred language in the Options menu.

NOTE: In the current version 0.12rc1, all localization support has been disabled. You'd need to manually compile a SVN revision prior to rev1819 or wait till this gets fixed again.

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by perixx; March 15th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perixx View Post
    NOTE: In the current version 0.12rc1, all localization support has been disabled. You'd need to manually compile a SVN revision prior to rev1819 or wait till this gets fixed again.
    Slightly incorrect. 0.12rc1 DOES have localization (translations) included. They were however cut from 0.12 Final mainly because in general not being anywhere near release ready.

Once the translations get properly up to date we will add downloadable language packs. Before that, even while using SVN, the game experience will be quite lacking compared to English (the text stings missing will be falling back to original English, creating a mixed language situation, and the translated parts might in some cases be completely wrong due to changes in the game).

Assistance with translations is of course gladly accepted to speed up this process.

PS For having access to the half finished translations in latest SVN, recompile after removing the "// disabled-v0.12" at the start of the lines in src/vars.h for the language(s) you are interested in.

Code:
    // disabled-v0.12	{ .code="fr_FR", .name="French", .font_class="", .encoding="ISO-8859-15" },
    // disabled-v0.12	{ .code="de_DE", .name="Deutsch", .font_class="", .encoding="ISO-8859-15" },
    // disabled-v0.12	{ .code="sv_SE", .name="Swedish", .font_class="", .encoding="ISO-8859-15" },
    // disabled-v0.12	{ .code="ru_RU.cp1251", .name="Russian", .font_class=".cp1251", .encoding="cp1251" },
    Last edited by stedevil; March 15th, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

For the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories (as of this post it was 0.10.3-3 for Ubuntu 8.04) you can always use the apt packages. If you are running Ubuntu with Firefox, all you have to do is open apt:freedroidrpg in the browser and it should start a graphical download process.

Beans

Sadly FreedroidRPG is not backported, so older *buntu versions have really outdated versions. Even brand new versions are rarely up to date, due to the time lag introduced from the long winding process of:
    New package in Debian -> Debian release freeze -> Debian stability test -> New package in Ubuntu -> Ubuntu release freeze -> Ubuntu stability test.

This creates a very stable and well tested system, but is very bad for a non system critical software like eg a game that is under heavy development.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast