Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will malware become an issue for linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

will malware become an issue for linux?

I've been wondering about this for a while now, its seems that linux, ubuntu in particular is picking up a lot of speed these days, with more and more people giving it a go. logic tells me that spyware and adware must become an issue at some point in the near future if ubuntu continues to gain popularity, sure its more difficult to write viruses, rootkits, malware etc for a linux based OS, but at the same time it would be in an advertiser's best interest to get it working!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: will malware become an issue for linux?

I think the whole repositories deal lessens that risk. The problem however is then that not all of the software is in them.

Beans

take what i say with a grain of salt. I dont really know what im talking about. It seems like to actually do anything damaging the malware would need to be ran as root. Say to always connect and report back it would need to be in the rc.conf as a daemon. Now i am just guessing and replying to the post so dont believe me.

Beans

I have been hearing this Linux Mal ware is coming cry for ten years now. I have been using Linux for 11 years and have not seen one yet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Malware = binary-only.

So long as you can get an application in source form, and the project in question has a good community behind it, I doubt that malware as we know it will ever be an issue.

But, what's to say that flashplayer, which is only available in binary form - and I imagine most linux desktop users have installed, is not spying on you?
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

well no OS is 100% secure, even linux can come under attack.
    But the advantage of linux is that most of the time packages are provided by repositories upheld by the distribution.
    the risk comes in using third party repositories and packages, not all the time they are bad but there have been cases in the past where third party repos became corrupted.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

It's really down the the innocent little end-users. If they just open a package from anywhere and just enter their password to run it, they'll be the ones to blame for breaking their system. And with many Windows users trying to turn off UAC, just think of the epidemic that will come about if they turn off the security features in Linux.

fedex1993 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

there probley will be some more rootkits and malware in the future for linux but i am sure once they find out about that they are going to update secruity and make some new stuff to block it.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Important to remember that the issue with Windows Viruses and Malware is that it was made easy for the end user to install software.

If there becomes a way to one-click install software on Linux the door may very well be opened on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by DalekClock
    It's really down the the innocent little end-users
    yeah thats my worry, because at the minute the majority of linux users are pretty computer literate, and understand the dangers of malware. if linux continues to grow, surely average joe who uses limewire and accepts file transfers from strangers over msn etc will end up vulnerable?

i'm aso wondering how long it will be before bloated malware protection software ends up on linux and begins to consume my RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast