Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross platform arena: Qt vs wxWidgets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cross platform arena: Qt vs wxWidgets

But the "backend" will be very simple. All it will be is just a socket that listens / sends commands, sending out when gui elements are used, or activating the gui elements when a command is received.

How can I go about hooking up the C code to a gui though? From the looks of it, it's all C++.

Thank you for your help, by the way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi
    Definitely not Python, since I don't know it at all. I'm familiar with C, learning C++ right now.
    If you're just learning C++, you probably won't be able to get much done with wxWidgets or QT. Both tools are for C++, and GUI programming in C++ is not for beginners to the language.

Gtk is OK, and it is for C. You don't need an installer for it. Try to link GTK statically or distribute the shared binaries with your software.

Keep in mind that the wxWidgets runtime weighs in around 10 MB. I'm not sure about QT, but it too will be substantial, if not bigger. GTK would probably be the lightest of them all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    But the "backend" will be very simple. All it will be is just a socket that listens / sends commands, sending out when gui elements are used, or activating the gui elements when a command is received.

How can I go about hooking up the C code to a gui though? From the looks of it, it's all C++.

Thank you for your help, by the way.
    Write the functions for the app, use a simple text interface for testing, then use a GUI.

I would, if I had this goal of yours, do what I outlined above, then use the Windows API for Windows, GTK, QT or wxWidgets for Linux, and whatever a Mac uses (I would research this).

I would take the time to learn the other API's and use whatever tools are needed for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But the exact point of going Qt or wxWidgets was that so I wouldn't have to learn 3 API's. Nevermind that I've never used a mac, so I won't be able to test it there at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
    Isn't wxWidgets a library that also has to be separately installed on end-user's machine?
    AFAIK, no, if you use C++ because it uses native API for all platforms. But if you are using a not-compiled language like Python, then yes, it has to be installed on end-user's machine.
    Last edited by ZuLuuuuuu; November 29th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuuuuuu View Post
    AFAIK, no, if you use C++ because it uses native API for all platforms. But if you are using a not-compiled language like Python, then yes, it has to be installed on end-user's machine.
    It needs to be installed onto the end-user's machine, regardless of language: either by static linking or by including shared libraries with your application, or providing instructions to the end-user to install the libraries themselves.

Same goes for any library that is not installed when the operating system itself is installed.

wxWidgets calls native APIs to draw its widgets, but the wxWidgets library still needs to be present in either statically-linked or shared library form.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    It needs to be installed onto the end-user's machine, regardless of language: either by static linking or by including shared libraries with your application, or providing instructions to the end-user to install the libraries themselves.

Same goes for any library that is not installed when the operating system itself is installed.

wxWidgets calls native APIs to draw its widgets, but the wxWidgets library still needs to be present in either statically-linked or shared library form.
    If you are distributing your wxWidgets & C++ application, the end-user do not have to install any other program than the program itself (especially if you statically linked the library while compiling, when it that case, you only need to give the .exe file and there is no installation at all).

But if you are using GTK & C then the end-user should install GTK runtime environment before using the application. And if you are using Python & wxWidgets then the end-user should install first Python, then wxPython to be able to use that program.
    Last edited by ZuLuuuuuu; November 29th, 2007 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What about Qt? Any installation needed if statically linked?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't have much information actually if wxWidgets or Qt can be easily statically linked or whether it is the common way that people use. Maybe you should arrange program to use .dll files. But they are known that they don't need a runtime environment like GTK (which has its own advantages). So, if you use wxWidgets or Qt along with C++ then the users should install just your program and that's all. To give example behaviours: The most famous Windows software that uses Qt is I guess Opera web browser, and maybe we can give AVG anti-virus as a famous software example that uses wxWidgets.

But as far as I know there are some issues about Qt license on Windows platforms that prevents developers to use that library free on some conditions. I guess Qt developers here can give more information about that...
    Last edited by ZuLuuuuuu; November 29th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuuuuuu View Post
    If you are distributing your wxWidgets & C++ application, the end-user do not have to install any other program than the program itself (especially if you statically linked the library while compiling, when it that case, you only need to give the .exe file and there is no installation at all).

But if you are using GTK & C then the end-user should install GTK runtime environment before using the application. And if you are using Python & wxWidgets then the end-user should install first Python, then wxPython to be able to use that program.
    I see what you mean now. I thought you meant that wxWidgets & C++ don't need additional libraries, because your use of the work "install" seemed to use no particular context.

However, what you've said about GTK & C isn't correct. If you have GTK sources and the libraries, you can link them statically or distribute them with your application. The same as wxWidgets or QT. I know there is an installation program for GTK, but that is not the only way to distribute GTK if you're a programmer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast