Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to configure controls for mednafen?

Beans

Question How to configure controls for mednafen?

Hi, I've installed Mednafen (emulator), and it works great, but I can't figure out how to configure my gamepad to work with it.

When I run it (mednafen /path/to/rom), I get this:

Starting Mednafen 0.8.1
    Loading settings from "/home/vertimyst/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg"...
    Initializing joysticks...
    Joystick 0 - Logitech Logitech Dual Action - Unique ID: ce96ea6b9d7ca56a
    Once I'm in-game, I hit F1 for the help. One of the options is 'F2 - Configure Command Key'. So I hit that.

This is where it gets confusing. At the bottom of the screen, I get 'Press a command key now'. Here, I assume I'm supposed to go 'alt+shift+n' (where n is the port - I have no idea what number I'm supposed to use, though, so I tried 1).

I get random responses each time, from nothing at all to '1(1)', '1(2)', etc. I think this is because I've messed up the configuration or something. I'm doing a reinstall right now.

So does anyone know how to configure the controls in this program? I've looked all over, and some people say to use F4 (a non-existent shortcut in my version), while others have said to simply do alt+shift+n right from the start, which also does nothing for me.

-EDIT-

Nevermind, I managed to figure it out. It turns out that by configuring the 'command keys', I had messed up the emulator shortcuts. Since reinstalling mednafen didn't fix this, I realized that the config file wasn't being recreated. So I manually deleted it, and that fixed the problem.

So, to configure the controls, start Mednafen and load your rom:

Code:
    mednafen /path/to/rom
    And hold down alt+shift and press 1. It should display a direction/button, followed by a number. Simply press the key you want to use for that direction/button. Pressing it a second time confirms the setting, and the setup moves on.
    Last edited by Scooter7; November 28th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Solved
    -Vertimyst

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How to configure controls for mednafen?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter7 View Post
    Pressing it a second time confirms the setting, and the setup moves on.
    You can also use that to set multiple buttons to the same command. The program knows you are done when you press the same button twice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

any way I can configure a joystick or game pad to the game? in the command line, I can see my game pad ID/name.

Beans

You should be able to do that using the method I described.

Just load your game with mednafen, then

.. hold down alt+shift and press 1. It should display a direction/button, followed by a number. Simply press the key you want to use for that direction/button. Pressing it a second time confirms the setting, and the setup moves on.
    -Vertimyst

Beans

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post, my wireless card died as I was posting.
    Last edited by Scooter7; June 24th, 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Double post
    -Vertimyst

Beans
    Distro

weird, doesn't seem to work, only the keyboard works.

Beans

Hmm, when you start mednafen, does it list your gamepad, like it does for me (see my first post in this thread)?

Maybe try restarting your computer with it plugged in, if you've been plugging it in after starting your computer. Also, make sure it's plugged in before starting mednafen, otherwise it won't detect it.
    -Vertimyst

Beans
    Distro

yes, course its a different game pad.

edit: even though I see my game pad in the console, I cannot use the buttons on it. is there some type of configuration I need to do for my laptop? I'm using dell inspiron 1501.
    Last edited by zizzdude; June 27th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.

Beans

I found that I had to run through joystick calibration first.

Just run jscalibrator from the command line.

On Ubuntu, it's in package 'jscalibrator'. Just remember to Save your calibration after you run through the steps.

Mednafen doesn't seem to recognize an Axis as a button, however. Too bad, I was looking forward to using my GameCube controller with Mednafen and my GC->USB converter. (The buttons work, but not the Axis.)

Beans

I'm having the same problems with Mednafen as Adm.Wiggin. I've managed to get Mednafen to recognize every button on my gamepad (USB->PS2 adapter) except for the X/Y Axis. jscalibrator works fine, and I've been able to grab the raw input from /dev/input/js0 to verify that the input is being transmitted, but it seems that mednafen doesn't currently work correctly with the X/Y axis on gamepads.

I'll be attempting to grab/inspect the source in a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast