Thread: Recommend a TeX editor with export to *.doc or *.wpd or *.rtf?

Beans

Recommend a TeX editor with export to *.doc or *.wpd or *.rtf?

I edit a journal and have received a TeX document. I can edit it and export it to pdf, but would really like to export it as a word processor document as well, for my print edition. Any suggestions on a mega-super-wonderful TeX client?

Many thanks.
    Ubuntu Mint Mate 64-Bit
    HP Slimline AMD Turion64 | Dell D531
    Windows 7U / Winxp [gaming] Mint16

Beans

Re: Recommend a TeX editor with export to *.doc or *.wpd or *.rtf?

This is a very common request, and sadly one that has no perfect solution. latex2rtf does a good job, but not perfect and some work is required afterwards. Even exporting from pdf as ascii text works pretty well, but again needs work afterwords.

I am surprised that you need to convert to Word before producing a print edition though. Isn't the pdf fine for that? Or a postscript version? I thought most printers converted Word to pdf these days, not the other way around.

Beans

Re: Recommend a TeX editor with export to *.doc or *.wpd or *.rtf?

Well I usually use WordPerfect to do extensive book type layout (two different alternating headers, footers, page numbers, paragraph rules, special characters, apostrophe changes, special quotes for English and French), then generate a new pdf from there. Doing this from Latex seems less obvious to me, as a new TeX user.

Thanks for your reply, and I wiil try latex2rtf; if this doesn't work well enough, I'll just strip a pdf and run some macros in Word Perfect to remove unwanted formatting and restart the layout process there.
    Ubuntu Mint Mate 64-Bit
    HP Slimline AMD Turion64 | Dell D531
    Windows 7U / Winxp [gaming] Mint16