View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

98 38.74%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

14 5.53%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let the developers know.

4 1.58%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let the developers know.

14 5.53%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

18 7.11%
  • I used to use it, but I'm no longer going to use it, because I now think it's unsafe.

29 11.46%
  • I prefer a different automated script (please specify)

1 0.40%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

58 22.92%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

9 3.56%
  • Other. (Please explain)

8 3.16%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What has been your Automatix experience?

Just a new poll, since the old one is... old, and things change.
    Last edited by aysiu; August 5th, 2007 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

After all the bad press it's received I wouldn't use it. I downloaded it once.. removed it like 10 minutes later when I was unimpressed.. Not too sure what it has to offer above Synaptic (give the correct repositories..) or of course simply compiling from source.. :O

Beans

I've used it with no problems. I think Arnie did a great job
    "it crashed?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I used it back in Edgy, and I didn't have any problems (I never tried upgrading that install, though). By Feisty, the restricted hardware manager and my better grasp of Linux made it irrelevant, so I don't use it anymore. I was always skeptical of the attacks towards Automatix from many Ubuntu forums members, as they never said WHAT was wrong with it, but the recent technical analysis convinced me that it's not the best solution to the problem at hand.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I still have had no problems with it.....
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've always preferred doing things manually, but many don't care for that sort of thing. I used to recommend them Automatix if I wasn't able to help them directly, but I now feel this is probably a bad practice because I don't use it myself and can't guarantee that it is safe, and some of the risen issues are quite compelling.

I've also come across an interesting article regarding Automatix and it's relationship with EasyUbuntu here: http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/HtmlDocs/ch07.html. I can't promise the article is NPOV but well worth a read.

All of this aside. There is very little demand for apps like EasyUbuntu and Automatix anymore:
    1. Most codecs now install on demand.
    2. Restricted drivers are now handled with a built-in manager.
    3. Most applications are provided either in the repos or as debs on the projects website or getdeb.net.
    4. For whats left, there are clear instructions on how to get things working on the wiki, and plenty of help on the forums.

I just don't think there is a demand for these utilities anymore, although I am grateful for their existence in the past as they have helped a lot of my friends get things working without my help.

Beans

i used it once, then it "dissappeared". it was just as easy to install things manually so I've never missed it
    Windows- The most widely spread piece of malware
    Help with Cancer Research - Team Ubuntu-Folding@home

Beans

never had a problem only use it for one thing i think its all a myth and got out of hand on this forum,
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

I used it but ran into Automatix-related problems I found it rather inconvenient to have two unsyncronised package managers (Automatix and apt) running on the same system. Like I would remove the package with apt-get and Automatix still thinks it's there.

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I've used it in the past with no problems. I still prefer to install things myself, but I can see how a novice, noob, or someone that doesn't have the time to figure everything out could still benefit from it.
    Thy soul shall find itself alone ‘Mid dark thoughts of gray tombstone – Not one, of all the crowd, to pry Into thine hour of secrecy. ~Poe

Ubuntu User # 8993 - Linux User # 433735

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast