View Poll Results: Should I get a 64 bit processor and install Ubuntu 64?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Question 1: 64 bit processor, Ubuntu 64

    21 75.00%
  • Question 1: 64 bit processor, Ubuntu 32

    2 7.14%
  • Question 1: 32 bit processor, Ubuntu 32

    0 0%
  • Question 2: Expect problems

    4 14.29%
  • Question 2: Don't expect problems

    1 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Various parts of the US
    Beans
    108

    Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Hello all,

    I'm looking into buying a new laptop with a 64-bit processor (Core 2 Duo). I'd like to dual boot, but I've heard there are problems with unsupported 64-bit drivers and software. I looked at the stickied threads here, but didn't find anything useful less than 8 months old.

    I'd like to know what your opinions are of Ubuntu 64. Should I stick with a 32 bit machine for another two years or so? Should I expect to need to use 32 bit software for another few months? A year? Two years?

    Have the Firefox / Flash / Java issues been corrected? Is there a 64 bit hardware compatibility list?

    I've searched the forums for these answers, but I can't seem to find anything updated.

    And for the heck of it, I've included a poll to sort out your responses.

    EDIT: I forgot to make the poll multiple select...If a mod can change it, please do, else, only answer question 1.

    - Mike Benza
    Last edited by MikeBenza; November 30th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.
    -- Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    418
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Hello gess what you can run 32-bit apps under 64-bit ubuntu
    The driver and program support is about the same for both at this point and has been about a year
    you should put this poll up in none 64-bit user form because we are bias (were all useing 64-bit)
    GO with the 64-bit prosessor i dont think you can findone thats not
    Firefox is good with flash but i thought i had problems with java but its Just the web page i was trying to get to sux (does the same thing on my xp boot)
    good luck
    Think about what you're saying,
    don't say everything you're thinking.
    ^wisdom from my little brother

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    cyberspace
    Beans
    6,198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBenza View Post
    I've searched the forums for these answers, but I can't seem to find anything updated.
    You just need to look here and read a lot
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607
    A look back of 2 or 3 pages also will give you the information.

    The quick answer is, the 64bit version is just as good as the 32bit. There is no perfect version of linux. They all have areas you may have to do some additional setup. As proof every other section of this forum is full of posts on 32bit problems.
    Last edited by Kilz; November 30th, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

    I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    334

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    How come I can answer only one ( 1 ) of the two (2) questions ? Some bit is mis-flipping.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    @MikeBenza

    There is a nice sticky maintained in the "x86 64-bit Users" forums.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607

    Otherwise, up to you and your budget.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Various parts of the US
    Beans
    108

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    @MikeBenza

    There is a nice sticky maintained in the "x86 64-bit Users" forums.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607

    Otherwise, up to you and your budget.

    I saw that thread, but didn't feel any of the threads linked in it gave clearcut, up-to-date answers. Also, is there a hardware compatibility list for Ubuntu 64?
    -- Mike

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    46

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    The problem is that there are no clear cut answers, except if you can answer some very specific questions- as in "what do you want to do?" and I don't mean "word processing, surf a bit, chat...", but "I'll expect OpenOffice to work for word procesing/spreadsheet needs, I want Java Plug-ins and Flash to work, and I'll need to use Acroread..."
    Driver support is about as good as 32 bit Linux. Application support is about 90 percent, with another 5-8 percent made up in wrappers for 32 bit applications.

    There are corner cases. If you have sound cards that are supported by only the latest ALSA builds, don't expect sound out of 32 bit applications (but there's always hope, and it both sound & hope seem to pop out of the most unexpected areas- like World of Warcraft on Wine...) like the 32 bit plugins (Flash) under Firefox. The native 64 Flash support is a bit wanting (and simply won't play some Flash videos).

    Ask the specific questions, and I think the support community could give you better and more specific answers.

    Otherwise, jump on in, figure this stuff out with the rest of us, and have fun. "Frustration is the last step on the road to enlightenment."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    cyberspace
    Beans
    6,198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Quote Originally Posted by jdos2 View Post
    The problem is that there are no clear cut answers, except if you can answer some very specific questions- as in "what do you want to do?" and I don't mean "word processing, surf a bit, chat...", but "I'll expect OpenOffice to work for word procesing/spreadsheet needs, I want Java Plug-ins and Flash to work, and I'll need to use Acroread..."
    Driver support is about as good as 32 bit Linux. Application support is about 90 percent, with another 5-8 percent made up in wrappers for 32 bit applications.

    There are corner cases. If you have sound cards that are supported by only the latest ALSA builds, don't expect sound out of 32 bit applications (but there's always hope, and it both sound & hope seem to pop out of the most unexpected areas- like World of Warcraft on Wine...) like the 32 bit plugins (Flash) under Firefox. The native 64 Flash support is a bit wanting (and simply won't play some Flash videos).

    Ask the specific questions, and I think the support community could give you better and more specific answers.

    Otherwise, jump on in, figure this stuff out with the rest of us, and have fun. "Frustration is the last step on the road to enlightenment."
    I believe your opinions are those of a misinformed person.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

    I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    161
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    As an average 64-bit user, I believe that there is little difficulty in running 64-bit Ubuntu. So far, the only difficulty I'm talking about is finding the 64-bit version of the program online. e.g. VMware Server, and Wine. Thats about it, as far as I know. The rest of the 32-bit programs works well in the 64-bit Ubuntu. You can very much say that they're served to you on a silver platter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    cyberspace
    Beans
    6,198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

    Quote Originally Posted by dnns123 View Post
    As an average 64-bit user, I believe that there is little difficulty in running 64-bit Ubuntu. So far, the only difficulty I'm talking about is finding the 64-bit version of the program online. e.g. VMware Server, and Wine. Thats about it, as far as I know. The rest of the 32-bit programs works well in the 64-bit Ubuntu. You can very much say that they're served to you on a silver platter.
    The wine hq has amd64 debs. Wine is in the Ubuntu repositories for amd64 Gutsy.
    VMware server is a commercial product, not open source. Still, the 32bit version installs and runs on amd64 Ubuntu. If you want a 64bit version please get vmware to make it. There are 64bit open source alternatives.
    IMHO more misinformation that the average user should disregard.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

    I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •