Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vmware problem

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: vmware problem

Quote Originally Posted by shayvasa View Post
    i copied the command exactly how u wrote it in the luncher and it didint work
    You will need to modify the path's to point to your current windows image in YOUR directory structory....

Example:
    Find the image you created when you installed qemu and windows....then simply copy the working directory path into the command. For my case, it is /home/jcsteele/win32/winxp.img and yours will be something different. (most likely /home/INSERT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/ will start it off...the rest depends on where you created the windows image)

//jcs

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nickpaton View Post
    One thing I'm finding (and Shay is having problems with it too) is the lack of virtual memory one can have.
    For me having 1Gb of actual memory and only getting 386Mb is not enough if I wanted to do some video editing in XP (about the only reason now to use it BTW!).
    Is there any way of tweaking the software to increase this?

Something else worth mentioning is that installing software seems to take an age and causes the CPU to run at 100%. It does eventually get there but possibly indicates an area for further examination as to why this is so - I guess a lot of it is the virtual memory issue but not sure.

Is any of this information easily available on the Internet, other than the wiki?
    <Modified> OK there is good stuff if you Google for it, typically

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

I feel we're missing a trick here - I'd never heard of Qemu but everyone knows vmware, and I think it's about time Qemu was pushed more.

What about a more comprehensive HOWTO on Ubuntu forums giving some of this extra information?
    I don't feel I have the inside knowledge on the software to be able to support such a HOWTO, but you obviously do.
    Do you have time to do one - if not I would be happy to write one for you to then put out in public and support the queries.
    Nick
    The maximum ammount of virtual memory is probably indeed hard wired into the program somewhere, however I would guess it is done so with reason...for an example: In your system you have 1GB of memory, however you cannot allocate all of this memory to qemu/windows.....if you did ubuntu would indeed crash, lock up, become uselessly slow, etc. (insert your favorite word for "utter chaos" in there)...you need a moderate percentage value based on your existing physical memory. With your installation, 386 is apparently that number (i believe mine is around 760 for 2GB of physical memory)...

As per the CPU problem...running QEMU is a very taxing process, not to be done lightly by older computers....your sluggish performance will make things virtually not useful, defeating the purpose of QEMU. Also, I don't believe QEMU can leverage hosts with multiple CPU's at the current time....a real drawback, but again only an issue on older machines these days.

As per the howto, I was thinking of writing something and putting it on my webpage (i still might), but if you use google, it will return numerous articles, wiki pages, mailing list posts, etc. with alot of questions answered, so right now I dont feel a real need to write such a thing....if anything, I was going to put a post up on www.ubuntuguide.org about it, but that will have to wait for the weekend until classes are over for me.

//jcs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yeah it figures regarding the spec of my PC - Athlon XP3200 chip with 1Gb ram.

I think I'll probably leave things as they are at this point, and as time allows to play further with it.

It's a very interesting piece of software which should be more widely known and when you get the hang of it, not so difficult to set up.

Thanks for your help JC.

Shay, I'll keep an eye on this post and offer what help I can.

Nick
    Old guitarists never die....

They just sustain.........and sustain........and sustain

Beans

ok...if i have it in my desktop hot should it be?

Beans
    Distro

In post #17 I described how to put it on your desktop. You use an app called the Desktop launcher.

Is this what you are after?

Also have a look at the more comprehensive startup command which I posted in post #18.
    It will cause Windows to be launched full screen and sound to be added.

Are you still having problems with getting the launch command line to work? If so can you tell me the name of the folder where you have windows.img file? Mine's in home/nick/windows.img.

Anything else get back to us.

Nick

Beans

ok heres the problem when u mean windows.img file do u mean the windows installation file? cause i have windows.iso on my dektop...maybe that is y this isnt working

Beans
    Distro

Am I right in thinking that you haven't yet managed to even get Windows started, never mind using a desktop shortcut to start it?

Quote Originally Posted by shayvasa View Post
    ok heres the problem when u mean windows.img file do u mean the windows installation file? cause i have windows.iso on my dektop...maybe that is y this isnt working
    OK, it's not the windows.iso file you're looking for - I guess that's what you used to install Windows in the first place.
    The file you're looking for is called windows.img which is the file generated when you install windows qemu.

To find where it is: Places > Search for files.

'Name contains' type - windows.img

'Look in Folder' - should show your home folder name (mines Nick)

Click search now button and hopefully you will see where it is. Mine is in nick.

If it's on the desktop, it will show the path as shay.Desktop

If it's not there, try changing Look in Folder to Desktop. I tried doing a search in File system but for some reason it didn't find it.

So from that result you can change the

[CODE] /usr/bin/qemu -usb usbdevice tablet -soundhw all -localtime -full-screen -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 480 /home/nick/windows.img[/CODE

path to wherever the windows.img file is located.

So if it is in your home folder it will be something like:

Code:
     /usr/bin/qemu -usb usbdevice tablet -soundhw all -localtime -full-screen -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 2856/home/shay/windows.img
    If it's in a subfolder of home, say temp for arguments sake, then it will read:

Code:
     /usr/bin/qemu -usb usbdevice tablet -soundhw all -localtime -full-screen -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 286 /home/shay/temp/windows.img
    If it's on your desktop then it will read similar to:

Code:
     /usr/bin/qemu -usb usbdevice tablet -soundhw all -localtime -full-screen -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 286 /home/shay/Desktop/windows.img
    Then when you have windows working you can create the launcher using the correct command file from one of the above (with alterations for yourself)

One thing I will say is that it may be that your PC is not powerful enough to run Windows under Qemu. See the posts between JC Steele and myself above about this. I personally cannot run it very well coz I have an older PC with an Athlon XP3200 CPU and 1gig of memory. Just to warn you M8!

Hope that helps

Nick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Usually that message refers to not finding the file required for booting the OS. We used to find that frequently happened when someone had left a floppy disk in the floppy drive, and that was the first boot option.

Beans

it says file not found

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure what to suggest - my windows.img installed into my home/nick directory. Have you tried doing a manual search in yours Places > Home Folder.

Mine's the last entry there.

And if it is there, the path you need to add is shown under 'Location' near the top.

I wasn't given a choice as to where it would be installed, so it seems to go there as a default.

If you cannot find it. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Nick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast