Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs PCLInux OS

Beans

Ubuntu vs PCLInux OS

Ubuntu is my primary OS and it will remain my primary OS. I have another older computer with Windows XP on it, mainly for people to use who can't live without Windows.

I dual booted PClinux on it to see what it was all about.
    Compared to Ubuntu, it seems sort of rubbish.

jpr

Beans

Re: Ubuntu vs PCLInux OS

Well, it depends on how you look at it. PCLinuxOS uses an excellent Control Center (polished up MCC) that makes it relatively simple to do administrative tasks. It also is KDE centered, so if you're a Gnome fan, you won't like it too much, but KDE in PCLinuxOS does look nice. They also include DKMS for driver installs, which is something the Ubuntu devs should look at for inclusion.

On the other hand, PCLOS doesn't seem to have a dedicated security response team, which bothers me a bit. Also, some packages like wesnoth have become dated and really should be kept more up to speed.

PCLOS has its quirks, but it runs well. If it had a security team, I would probably run it, but for now I still recommend Ubuntu to those who are interested in trying out the *nix side of things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

omg , I'll have to greatly disagree , PCLOS is fantastic and deserves respect.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

I have to tell you all that since Ubuntu dumped those of us who are stuck with dialup because of where we live I have changed to PCLinux and love it.

Gnome PPP (wvdial with gui) is included standard in PCL and will continue to be there for us. Ubuntu, after 8.04, quit the wvdial gui for reasons unknown.

I have tried and tried to get an answer from Ubuntu as to why they did this to no avail. So....

Hello PCL and thanks for remembering the rest of the Linux community who don't have broadband.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by JPman View Post
    I have to tell you all that since Ubuntu dumped those of us who are stuck with dialup because of where we live I have changed to PCLinux and love it.

Gnome PPP (wvdial with gui) is included standard in PCL and will continue to be there for us. Ubuntu, after 8.04, quit the wvdial gui for reasons unknown.

I have tried and tried to get an answer from Ubuntu as to why they did this to no avail. So....

Hello PCL and thanks for remembering the rest of the Linux community who don't have broadband.
    What surprises me... For in my Software Centre of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx the Gnome PPP dialler is available for installation. I did not try it out, for I do not have any dial-up facility. Wvdial is also available for install in the Ubuntu Repo and Canonical says it will offer critical update support till 2013

I personally pity these sorts of discussions for the effort put in all these different distro's in the end do not add up to the total benefit of the Linux users as a whole.
    I too have tried many different versions of Linux distro's and the very first one that worked out of the box was Ubuntu. Putting effort in learning how to configure it, so that the look and feel suited my taste, I enjoyed very much but I realize that there is still a lot to learn.

Cheers!
    Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E View Post
    What surprises me... For in my Software Centre of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx the Gnome PPP dialler is available for installation. I did not try it out, for I do not have any dial-up facility. Wvdial is also available for install in the Ubuntu Repo and Canonical says it will offer critical update support till 2013
    That's good to know! I don't use dial-up anymore, but I used it for several years and I've been disappointed that many distros seem to ignore dial-up users lately.

PCLOS is a good distro. The sad things is that a thread like this one wouldn't even be allowed at the the PCLOS forums. They don't allow discussions about other distros there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    That's good to know! I don't use dial-up anymore, but I used it for several years and I've been disappointed that many distros seem to ignore dial-up users lately.

PCLOS is a good distro. The sad things is that a thread like this one wouldn't even be allowed at the the PCLOS forums. They don't allow discussions about other distros there.
    This is out of respect for the other distros, and their hard working developers.
    PCLOS users worry about their own distro, and most seem quite happy with it. it is after all a distro hopper stopper.
    I don't think I ever saw an "I'm going back to windows, or I'm going
    back to Ubuntu post" over there.
    Last edited by sixthwheel; September 8th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Deep thoughts by Sixthwheel

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the fire hydrant.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sixthwheel View Post
    This is out of respect for the other distros, and their hard working developers.
    Well, it means that you can't even make a positive comment about another distro over there, so I don't know how that is showing respect for other distros and their developers. They could just institute a "no flaming" policy, sort of like they do at the MepisLovers forums, if they want to show respect for other distros, but they don't. So I question whether showing respect for other distros is really the motivation for not allowing discussion of other distros at the PLCOS forums.

Beans

So I question whether showing respect for other distros is really the motivation for not allowing discussion of other distros at the PLCOS forums.
    Since you care so much about how other distros make their rules on their own forums, perhaps you could go there and ask yourself.
    You may even give them a few hints on how to improve on perfection.
    Deep thoughts by Sixthwheel

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the fire hydrant.

Beans
    Distro

Since you care so much about how other distros make their rules on their own forums, perhaps you could go there and ask yourself.
    Actually, I did. I was given no answer to the question.

Yeah, it's their forums and they can make their own rules. Doesn't matter whether I like the rules or not.

PCLOS users worry about their own distro, and most seem quite happy with it. it is after all a distro hopper stopper.
    I'm a PCLOS user. I had PCLinuxOS 0.92 installed. Later installed PCLinuxOS 2007. Now I have PCLinuxOS 2010. It's a good distro. One of my favorites, but I've never preferred it over the other distros I use. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Lots of folks find a particular distro and say "my distro-hopping is over." I see comments like that at just about every Linux forum.

Here's something that folks might not know: PCLinuxOS 2010 doesn't even include manpages. They wanted to leave room on the live CD for other stuff. No big deal to most people, I'm sure. An inconvenience for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast