Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

I personally prefer gnome right now. I really like where kde is going, but i think i've just grown very used to gnome and its applications. Every few months i give it another try because you just never know how things have changed until you live in it. I do the same thing with food. I might not like cocktail shrimp today, but tomorrow who knows?

Beans

I would say give both a try on a live CD. Do not knock it until you tried it.

Opinion:
    I was a KDE user for almost 2 years, up until 4.1. KDE currently has a policy of implementing every half-finished feature they think of. I particularly enjoy using Ark and Dolphin. Not only does Ark not support that many file types, it has repetitive menu options in the file browser. It also gives you options to create archives that you do not currently have support for (like rar without unrar package). It's interface is fine, and I like QT at large, however I prefer a more organized desktop, so basically now I use Gnome. ;]

This link sums it up fantastically.
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=570

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just flat out use Gnome, since I'm used to it. But since My friend is giving me his old laptop with <<Back|Track 4 on it. I will be using in that sense KUbuntu intrepid. Since that's what B/T's desktop environment is based on now. So I will have the honor of using both systems,On diffrent laptops. However as it stands my heart belongs to Gnome and regular Ubuntu.

-Ciao,
    Azimov

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

I opt for GNOME.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

I agree with the beauty of Linux is that we as users have the CHOICE of what flavour we like!

I have been using Ubuntu since 2007 and overtime, I have been switching back and forth between Ubuntu and Kubuntu (at one point in time Xbuntu). Overally, I like Ubuntu better for its simplicity, which http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome said that sometimes too simple, which is true.

At the end of the day, there are always two sides of each coin. On one hand, Gnome gives us the simplicity and what most of us need. KDE gives us as much bells and whistles we could handle.

I like KDE for its features but on day to day usage, Gnome is the best for myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I prefer the lightweights. For me the UI is not to impress with effects; it is to do the job while staying out of the way. So, I'm the guy who will use Xfce and lx11, but when you come over, I show you KDE to impress you.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

I have Fluxbox, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE installed. I call it ukuluxubuntu.
    Computer: A system restart is required.

Me: I'LL SHOW YOU A RESTART!!! *unplugs computer*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anjilslaire View Post
    You don't even need to reinstall kubuntu to try it from your ubuntu installation.
    From inside Gnome (ubuntu), open Synaptic, search for kubuntu-desktop, and install it.
    Thats it. You're done.
    Log out, click the "sessions" button, and change to KDE. Log in. Now you see kubuntu. Keep it, uninstall it, whatever.
    From the login screen, select your choice from the Sessions menu. And best of all, its teh same OS, different GUI, so all your stuff is still in /home.
    REALLY GOOD TIP TO TRY KUBUNTU OUT .....
    My problem is mostly that I love music, Amarok is/--was one of the best player (until the version 1.4). It has now many and reccurent bugs under ubuntu. It drives me nuts and would not be worse to try Kubuntu just for this. But before I wanted to know if I would feel comfy with kubuntu.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

i have recently upgraded to Kubuntu, had several problems, email links in thunderbird wouldn't open "tried several fixes but they didn't work" when loading a DVD with data on it it wouldn't open and couldn't find the DVD player anywhere? found the floppy but not the DVD. Dragon Player wouldn't play movie,s, Compiz wouldn't work as well? rotate cube didn't work and it kept reverting back to defaults had to constantly "resume desktop effects" ive since gone back to Ubuntu and everything works fine? Ubuntu seems to be a much more stable system although i prefer Kubuntu for its appearance, maybe in a few months they will get the bugs worked out, so for those of you who are asking which one is better this has been my experience, back to the basics of Ubuntu.

Patrick

Beans

I'm now on Windows 7, planning to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu. If I'm correct I can install Ubuntu and Kubuntu on 1 partition and then choose which one to log into?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast