Thread: Brightness/contrast adjustment

Beans

Brightness/contrast adjustment

By default the picture from Mythbuntu using the YPbPr interface is washed out on my system, and I need to adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma. I can do this using nvidia-settings.

The problem is that the values saved by nvidia-settings are not automatically loaded when I reboot, so I have to exit from mythfrontend, launch nvidia-settings, then start mythfrontend again. How can I automate this, launching nvidia-settings before mythfrontend is run? Or is there another way to control the picture settings?
    Eric

Beans

Re: Brightness/contrast adjustment

I've always used xcalib to calibrate my lcds. It it's a tv screen you might need something else though.

Beans

well even though I dont use mythbuntu, installing kcontrol and kio plugins worked for brightness on my computer as the built in gnome brightness manager falls short. ( I think that is what it was under but I am not sure, but something in the kde control center helped me out)
    It is possible to keep its settings too if you use the administrator mode.
    Of course I am not dealing with your situation but its worth a shot

edit: no its the hal device manager, my mistake.
    you can look it up in the repos under "hal"
    use that and kcontrol and see if you can play around with the brightness
    I think the "kde powersave" app is what will give you the brightness control, I have so many things on here due to my fiddling around I cannot tell what is what here.
    in the end anythings worth trying
    Last edited by SunnyRabbiera; November 23rd, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Thanks for those suggestions.
    Eric

Beans

yeh, well it did work for me but my scenario is way different.
    still its worth trying
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Thanks again for the suggestions, but I didn't find success with them. Kcontrol only adjusts gamma (not brightness and contrast) and xcalib was rather too complicated to set up.

I've read up the nVidia literature and found this: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...user-guide.txt but I've tried all the advice in the "Loading Settings Automatically" section without success. The command "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" works manually, but I can't automate it. I've even programmed that command into one of the remote control buttons but that doesn't work either.

Please, has anyone got any other suggestions?
    Eric

Beans

For anyone who is interested, I've solved this one.

First I created a script called set-gamma in my home directory (/home/eric) like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    nvidia-settings --load-config-only
    mythfrontend --service
    Then I edited ~/.config/autostart/MythTV Frontend to change its launcher command to:
    Code:
    /home/eric/set-gamma
    Now the saved gamma/brightness/contrast are loaded automatically before mythfrontend starts.
    Eric