Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is preventing linux mainstream adoption?

Beans

Re: What is preventing linux mainstream adoption?

What is preventing linux mainstream adoption? Perhaps just time. Think how absurdly far Ubuntu has come in such a short time. We are in the middle of things now and want everything faster and cleaner and better and delivered right now (I know I do --it's only natural!) but step back a moment and consider the success of Linux on the server side, and the elegance and power of desktop distributions when fifteen years ago Linus was just dinking around in his dorm room. I imagine that in six years, eight years (I know -- an impossibly long time in computer years, but not so very long in the rest of the wide world) you will see a consistently growing adoption trend for Linux. Yeah, we need a video editing program, and ever greater stability & simplicity, but these things will come in, uh, time . . .

Beans

I am not sure I want linux mainstream. It will surely bring on other problems. I do get tired of hearing people complain about how difficult linux is compared to windows. How many of these complainers have actually installed windows and tried to get everything set up and working? To me linux is much easier in most cases. Every time I have installed windows I have had to search and search for drivers and for me linux has always worked out of the box. I know this is not always the case. In my opinion in order for linux to become mainstream will require a major computer manufacturer to start installing and actually pushing linux such as apple with OSX. Then software companies such as Adobe making professional software for it. As far as making money for the computer retailers the hardware will always need to be upgraded so computers sales for the most part would not be affected. Not much money is probably made on the os itself currently so selling a computer with linux and selling support packages would be just as profitable if not more so. Windows is "easy" because in most cases it has been pre-configured as is the case with OSX.
    AMD X2 3600 @2755
    Abit NF-M2
    OCZ Gold ddr2 800
    EVGA 7600GT

Beans
    Hidden!

Lack of large company backing it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pdwalpole View Post
    What is preventing linux mainstream adoption? Perhaps just time. Think how absurdly far Ubuntu has come in such a short time. We are in the middle of things now and want everything faster and cleaner and better and delivered right now (I know I do --it's only natural!) but step back a moment and consider the success of Linux on the server side, and the elegance and power of desktop distributions when fifteen years ago Linus was just dinking around in his dorm room. I imagine that in six years, eight years (I know -- an impossibly long time in computer years, but not so very long in the rest of the wide world) you will see a consistently growing adoption trend for Linux. Yeah, we need a video editing program, and ever greater stability & simplicity, but these things will come in, uh, time . . .
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree wholeheartedly with this outlook.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I know for me personally, i've had a few different experiences when trying to get people to use linux.

1. older IT guys that had tried linux 5 or 10 years ago, saw that it was near impossible to use for anyone other than elite programmers, and had since written it off as unusable. (these guys usually tend to be the decision makers too..... and important fact)

2. people that could care less what OS they use, so long as they can check their email/myspace/youtube etc etc (these tend to be the easiest to convert, at least in my experience)

3. people that simply do not want to learn a new OS. my mom being a good example. her laptop is constantly having problems, programs crashing, various spyware/virus infections that i dont have the time or patience to fix... and yet she refused to use linux because it would involve some investment of time learning something new... computer's aren't everything to her, and she'd rather deal with known windows headaches than new linux headaches.

as i've gotten more involved in the linux community over the past few months (i've been using it on my desktop for about 2 years now)... i've started to realize there is a huge amount of room for improvement as far as the 'normal' user is concerned. the bright side is that things seem to be improving in orders of magnitude faster than in the windows world... so in my mind, its just a matter of time before linux 'catches up' with the proprietary world.

In addition, i've also gained an increasing amount of curiosity and desire to help out the open source ecosystem. It seems to me that if I can gain the programming skills necessary to help out with OSS apps, that will make me more attractive on the job market. Companies want to save money on their internal IT costs, so if someone has the skills and knowledge to save them several million dollars a year, they will gladly pay me a respectable salary in return. Its a win-win for everyone. And I would expect that a certain percentage of linux users would feel the same as I do, so as adoption increases, so does the body of programmers adding to and improving the whole system.
    Last edited by intelligentfool; November 24th, 2007 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

1. The stereotypical image for Linux - writing and editing code lines.

2. Time. As I always say, "wait for it....wait for it!"

3. Public awareness (or lack thereof.)
    ## 17' iMac / 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB RAM
    / Mac OS 10.4.11
    ## HP Pavilion a1213w / 1.8 Ghz AMD Sempron / 768 MB RAM / Ubuntu 9.04
    ## ThinkPad T400 / 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 3 GB RAM
    / Windows 7 & Ubuntu 9.04 (Dual-boot)

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually I think the OS is becoming utilitarian. Once upon a time thought Linux needed something really innovative to get people to come over to the good side. Something like Project Looking Glass that gives consumers a reason to make the switch (I never thought consumers would switch for security and other "back end" reasons. People are too comfortable in their ways, they only change when they really really want to). However, the complete and total failure of Vista has made me rethink this. Vista tries really hard to be "edgy" and "hip" with its interface. I would normally think this sort of thing would work, but it hasn't. Some will point to the many faults of Vista (such as compatibility issues and bloated hardware requirements), but I really think that people just don't care about flashy interfaces in OSes any more.

I think the OS has become a tool on your utility belt. The OS is supposed to get you to the real hip stuff, such as mobile devices and web applications (like Facebook and Flickr). That's where the money is being made these days, not with OSes. So I think Linux will eventually win out because it is the most safe, reliable, and "utilitarian" of all the OSes out there.

Of course, this could be accelerated if a popular and innovative company backed linux in a significant way for the desktop (I'm looking at you Google). If Goobuntu was given a slick user interface and marketing was put into it, it along with OSX would force Microsoft to fight a war on two fronts and over a shorter period of time Windows would be dethroned. But I don't think that's going to happen because, again, the OS is not where money is to be made these days. That's with mobile devices and web 2.0 applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think it's the cows. Every time they moo, another Windows user is born. At this rate there is little we can do.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's not in your High Street stores because there isn't any profit for a retailer.
    Because there is no profit it's not advertised.
    No advertising means the majority of people have never even heard of it.
    There is a lot of hardware for which no manufacturers drivers are available.
    There are few manufacturers drivers available because the market share of Linux users is still relatively small.
    People are generally lazy and have no desire to learn things new and give up at the first problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by perce View Post
    What exactly couldn't you do with a GUI?
    I've yet to find a GUI drive/partition mounting tool in Ubuntu.
    When I used PCLinuxOS there was a very simple GUI point-and-click tool for changing drive/partition properties.

Grub editing. There is GrubEd, but it's not part of the distro.
    (at least it wasn't the last time I looked for it in Synaptic)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast