Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What is preventing linux mainstream adoption?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What is preventing linux mainstream adoption?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    A lot of it is probably just ignorance.
    I agree with Crunchy - alot of it is based on ignorance and whatnot. The majority of people that I know seem to believe in the stereotypical image of Linux - no GUI, no mouse. Just a keyboard, a monitor, and a bunch of command lines appearing on the screen. They also don't believe me when I tell them that because Linux is open-source, it is free.

I've gotten responses from people saying stuff like "is that a pirated version of Windows?" or "Wow - he has a mac on his PC!" when I run ubuntu on my T400 with compiz.
    ## 17' iMac / 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB RAM
    / Mac OS 10.4.11
    ## HP Pavilion a1213w / 1.8 Ghz AMD Sempron / 768 MB RAM / Ubuntu 9.04
    ## ThinkPad T400 / 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 3 GB RAM
    / Windows 7 & Ubuntu 9.04 (Dual-boot)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aviedw View Post
    I truthfully never fully understand the whole gaming aspect on computers in this day in age. With the wii, the xbox and the ps3 why would someone spend 300-400 dollars just for a graphics card and then games and then high end memory and then spend even more money on a high end graphics card. And then when microsoft decides to release a new directX engine and new games are created under it, you have to then upgrade your graphics card to meet those new requirements.

I guess that's why linux is a much better fit for me because im not really a gamer. I do it to kill time but its not a daily ritual. I did have a Sims binge in college but i've attended the meetings and im not addicted anymore lol.

But seriously that is just so much money to keep a gaming rig up to date
    Why are you pointing at an idiots work?
    You get an SSD for the most required, got a cheap big disk for normal storage of p0rn, get a cheap AMD CPU that is insane bang for the bucks, get 2-3 gigs of RAM........... And then get a working GPU, upgrade each 3rd generation unless you got enough cash to just upgrade each generation.
    Disk is mostly cheap
    The CPU and motherboard is more than affordable, x86 is stagnated anyhow
    The PSU needs to be good, unless you don't care
    The RAM does not have to be wannabe-1337, 3 gigs = all you will ever need unless you are an abuser of ramdisks
    The GPU and SSD are the only components costing a lot, but they are the main power regardless. SSD can be dropped in favour of ramdisks since they are quite neat, but a small cheap SSD for just the OS and your core applications will be worth da buck.

Another point: There is not going to be a major PC game requirement upgrade, the PS4 and Wii 2 and Xbox720 needs to happen first. Unless you are talking about something that wants to looks 1337(crysis fapping).
    Sure there are a few rare DX-11 games, but at the same time they are like Crysis and really nothing new or noticeable.

Now, the people who gets new GPU's are either upgrading for the kick of it or they just so happen to got the money to spare. Or they had 3 generation old ones.
    Well, regardless the next consol generation will be quite enjoyable:
    *There WILL be major porting problems from the consol to the PC due the waistly superior CPU
    *The GFX will get dated after 1 generation, but the CPU will stranglehold that so it won't be an issue regardless
    *A lot of markedding ********, and wannabe fancy motioncontrol gimmicks that may or may not be ejoyable at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gvernold View Post
    ..Arch - developers couldn't be bothered to fix essential Gnome desktop issues..... FOR TWO YEARS!...
    I'd be interested in exactly which issues you are referring to.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

My own personal opinion:

Linux has got worse not better.
    It surely has kept on getting better for me, with only the occasional temporary regression?

Arch - developers couldn't be bothered to fix essential Gnome desktop issues..... FOR TWO YEARS!
    I was initially using Gnome on Arch over two years ago, & used it for about 6 months before moving to Openbox. I didn't have any problems with Gnome at all. My understanding is that the Arch dev' team only make any changes to packages when there is no other choice, as it goes against the Arch way. If they didn't fix your mysterious problem, then I suspect that very few people had the displeasure of experiencing it.

All of these kind of problems are the sort of things we ditched Windows for in the first place.
    Some of us initially ditched windows for other reasons, such as our distaste for greedy monopolies & all of the secretive things that go with such things.

I hate trying to get virtual web servers and some programming platforms working nicely in Windows but for the first time in 13 years I'm actually considering going back if not just for the usability of the desktop and having a nicely finished application that I can just install.
    Good idea, if your not happy using what you are using, keep changing what you are using until you can find satisfaction. Best of luck, as it seems to be easier for some than others.

Linux had the opportunity of mainstream adoption and we've gone straight passed it, trying to compete with stupid graphics that our Windows colleagues leathered their desktop with. For the likes of more stable distros unfortunately they are still stuck with the command line and a bloated kernel underneath and most likely will never move on from there.
    I disagree completely with what you say above.

Go & find satisfaction somewhere?

Beans
    Hidden!

Why blame Arch devs for gnome issues?
    Where the problem lies:

1. Bugs in Gnome
    2. You're doing it wrong

Possible solution:

1. Report Bugs upstream
    2. Learn by reading wiki and forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fatum View Post

3. Philosophy- Customization of programs is great (for the geeks) but it only adds to confusion for the average person. When they need a program to do X and they have a list of 20 programs to choose from they get overloaded. The average person is not going to research which programs are which and which do better at X than another. Simplicity is key. Each Linux distribution needs to come with standard programs to do the everyday things.
    When I started on Linux this was my biggest problem - along with the fact that many of the offerings are very buggy which someone else pointed out.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"Mainstream adoption"... well in the server world Linux has been "adopted" for many a year now...

Companies like Canonical has shown the world that there is alternatives in the desktop environment and people are switching daily... I can't see a single thing stopping anyone from using Linux.... except choice...
    Where is my mind?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thenailedone View Post
    Companies like Canonical has shown the world that there is alternatives in the desktop environment and people are switching daily... I can't see a single thing stopping anyone from using Linux.... except choice...
    There are a couple of things that come to mind here that should be accounted for I think.

1. For whatever reason, some people have a gross dislike or inability, to put the effort into learning something new.

2. There are those that have difficulty with technical things & truly need other people to help them or do it for them. (Most lawyers & car salesmen come to mind ) There is some overlap between points 1. & 2.

Such people are no less valuable (hmm, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned lawyers & car salesmen ) than tech' heads (though some tech' heads seem to think that they are superior to the those that don't think the same way? Unfortunately that is just their usually immature tech' head ego getting in the way of the truth).

For those that are not technically oriented I always recommend OS X. It is still by far the easiest system to do most everything on for those that have a job to do. Be it connecting to & using the web, office work, graphics work, video, sound or whatever.

My experience over the years with my wife who depends on computers for her business affairs has shown me empirically the huge differences in the ease of use between the two systems windows XP pro & OS X Panther.

Her use of OS X, has shown & proven this to me (apart from my own experiences with OS X).

There is next to nothing that she needs my help with, whilst using OS X. That is most certainly a far cry from how it was when she was using windows XP Pro.

I now all but never have to administer to her system. As she installs peripherals; drivers; software; software updates/upgrades whatever.

On windows I most certainly had to do all of that stuff & a whole lot more.

Linux is out of the question for her for the following reasons:

1. The software that she relies on is not available on Linux.

2. The ease of use & the ensuing comfort that OS X, has provided for her would be very difficult for her to let go of.

3. Why spend the energy becoming comfortable with a completely new system when the one you are using is perfectly satisfactory?

4. Why would I (if the appropriate Linux software solutions even existed for her) move her from a system that she can completely administer herself (over 99% of the time) to one where I would have to be involved quite often? Be it Linux or a version of windows?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    6. Pandas
    I agree.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak
    6. Pandas
    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I agree.
    Go & put your dress on & stop talking to yourself!?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast