Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Control 2 computers with one mouse and one keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Control 2 computers with one mouse and one keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by gluonman View Post
    Okay. When I said that I entered ssh host, I knew I was supposed to substitute host with the IP address. I just chose not to reveal my IP address. And I figured out how to save the startxshare and stopxshare. Only problem now is that when I run startxshare, I move my mouse to the left edge of the screen. I certainly disappears from this computer, but I don't see it pop up in the second computer. Do both computers need to be connected to internet or something? Do both need to have ssh installed?
    I originally found this thread trying to find out how I can connect my desktop PC to the internet by connecting it to my laptop (which is connected to a neighbourhood wireless router) via ethernet cable.
    Oh! My apologies...I'll edit that in. Both need to have SSH installed so that the SSH port will be open. I don't think they need to be connected to the internet though...just connected to the network.
    Good at writing shell scripts? Know anything about GTK programming?
    Help out a new project at http://www.s-online.org/labels/About.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Jr.Gotti; what is the required set up in a windows-XP machine to access a ubuntu-server.?
    Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucho77 View Post
    Hi Jr.Gotti; what is the required set up in a windows-XP machine to access a ubuntu-server.?
    Thanks for your help.
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

Your gonnah wannah download "putty.exe"

Thats to connect to your Ubuntu box, mind you. As far as the other way around...I'd have to look into it...I've never had a need to do so.
    Good at writing shell scripts? Know anything about GTK programming?
    Help out a new project at http://www.s-online.org/labels/About.html

Beans

Thank you, jr.gotti. I'm still trying to figure out how to access the internet with my second computer. I could always buy a wireless card for it, but it would be so much cheaper if I could figure out how to set it up so that my laptop that has internet connection can act as a "router" for my desktop. I've heard rumours from pretty much everyone that that can be done, but the how of it I've yet to read. So, once I have my desktop connected to the internet, then I can install ssh on it and probably successfully control both computer with one mouse and one keyboard.

Beans

There aren't many thanks being expressed here - presumably because it just works so effortlessly (people are a lot more grateful if they have to wait for something...). Maybe it's late, maybe I'm overtired, but I've just jumped up and down with joy - it works! A brilliantly-written how-to, a million brilliant thanks.

A while ago I destroyed the USB controller on my laptop (a home-made ipod charger shoved 12V into the USB port - complete brain failure on my part) and had no way of using a mouse or external keyboard (no other working I/O apart from firewire and ethernet). It has a trackpad, but they are really no replacement when it comes to the real accuracy needed for video work or composition or graphics (and the keyboard is rubbish).

Now I can use my significantly lesser replacement machine as a mouse-and-keyboard-server and still have the power and big screen of the first one. Hurrah. Now I wonder what is the lowest-powered device I can use to do this.... Do you think there could be any way of using a machine which was not running X as the mouse-and-keyboard-server - say an old 386 laptop with 4MB RAM ?

You can have no idea how much this will improve my life : working mouse > video editing > finally completing my 12-month project to get me back into gainful employment > gainful employment > money > life (yeah, a few stages missed out there, but y'know...).

I know you didn't write the programs and I could probably have found the info elsewhere but the how-to was just what was required, so thanks.

I'd better stop now before I start weeping....

Share and Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks! This works like a charm! Have used synergy for this before, but this seems a lot more secure. Great tip!

Beans

this is what i needed. Synergy has been nothing but a problem for me as of late and I needed other way of doing this. the setup was too simple and worked brilliantly.

thanks for the heads up on this, even though an old thread still holds good info for now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12