Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Presumably, "giving up on Ubuntu" also would also gut his system. This person was either playing with you, or wasn't very big on rational decision-making processes.
    I copied your signature warning. I hope you don't mind.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    ... there are better ways to prevent malicious intent than blacklisting common system commands. If you want to get Linux to catch on, making people afraid of CLI commands is not the way to do it.
    Absolutely - or more accurately, there are MORE ways. Short sharp warnings also have their place in the arsenal of educational instruments though. I'm utterly green and entirely enthused - a dangerous place to be. Information is Power. I want to understand instructions that I am given, and therefore welcome being given information / access to information. To this end, I have included a link to jdong's utterly awesome warning post about malicious trolling in my sig.

I'd like to add that the energy and interest that has been shown in this thread, the fact that it was started at all (thanks aysiu, you are very cool) the utter willingness to change signatures and so on demonstrates a culture that people WILL want to be a part of. You're all solving a problem that could adversely affect Linux's place in the world and thereby CREATING a stronger place for LInux in this world. Sweet, sweet irony - in your FACE, trolls!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

-Make new users have to read that message before able to browse the forum?

-Add a little note under each post in absolute beginer forum?
    You can't just hope-you have to go out there and make things happen.
    My blog and Flash Games!

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think some people should change their sig from (this is generic) "don't follow and commands with rm in them" or "don't follow this command (rm rf /home) it will delete your home folder!!!

I think (some people have this) would be better:

Don't follow any commands with rm in them unless you know what you are doing and what They are removing.

??? Just a suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm in.
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

This a great Idea and I will support it (it might not get changed now, but it will change)

I conffess I skipped the middle 16 pages of this thread so I don't know if someone posted this already but what about Sending an automatic PM to new users something like:

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums,

We are glad to have you........yadda ya.......we would like to make you aware that some people have been posting Malicious code to these forums........banned forever for doing so ......just a heads up. Have Fun.

Something to let the new users know what is going on. Again, this can be ignored pretty easily but it will help.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Strictly in the interest of science I tried the command on a couple of installations. Yes, it will eat your entire system.

Apparently there's an option for the rm command to protect the root directory, in which case a small error message or warning spits out, if you try to delete "/". Look at the man pages for rm, if you want details.

Unfortunately, that option is not the default in Ubuntu, although it is in other distros.

I filed a bug report against the coreutils package (which is where the rm command resides) asking that option to be reversed -- that the root directory be protected by default, with the override flag available if you know what you're doing.

If you can confirm or otherwise comment on the bug, I'd appreciate it. A simple safeguard like switching the default might help prevent a few newcomers from accidentally deleting everything.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

OK - here's my small contribution to the novice members of our community.

Why did RAV change his back I wonder?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can explain what the rm means from my mad skillz reading of ubuntu knowledge book.

f = force, so it doesn't ask you to confirm, otherwise it would
    r = recursive, will delete all subdirectories.

That's why rm rf in your home folder is so painful. Normally when you fire up terminal it is in the home directory. People could add the cd .. to it as well to make sure you are in the home. It will delete all your important files in your home folder (even hidden) ones and all their subdirectories... Scary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I filed a bug report against the coreutils package (which is where the rm command resides) asking that option to be reversed -- that the root directory be protected by default, with the override flag available if you know what you're doing.

If you can confirm or otherwise comment on the bug, I'd appreciate it. A simple safeguard like switching the default might help prevent a few newcomers from accidentally deleting everything.
    It seems to me that the easiest solution is to update to a newer version of 'coreutils'. Current stable is 6.7 and the behavior protecting the root directory has been the default since version 6.2 (which was released over a year ago). Ubuntu apparently uses version 5.9 (and was using that for Heron last time I checked).

Is there a reason not to update 'coreutils'?

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast