Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

I'm speaking on my own behalf and not for the whole forum staff, but I do hope the rest of the staff agrees with me.

We have posted a sticky about this in Absolute Beginner, but malicious spammers still manage (before being banned) to sneak in their "advice" deleting new users' entire installations.

Most people do not read stickies (I have to confess--I don't either). So the best way to combat this is to educate through signatures.

If you are a regular helper in the support forums, I urge you to make some kind of note warning users to research the validity of commands given, to wait until another forum member or two validates commands given, or just to avoid the most obviously bad commands (like sudo rm -rf /).

If you do not want to participate in this educational crusade, don't bother being a naysayer--just don't participate. If you are willing to make a change in your sig, though, that would be great.

Beans

Red face Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm speaking on my own behalf and not for the whole forum staff, but I do hope the rest of the staff agrees with me.

We have posted a sticky about this in Absolute Beginner, but malicious spammers still manage (before being banned) to sneak in their "advice" deleting new users' entire installations.

Most people do not read stickies (I have to confess--I don't either). So the best way to combat this is to educate through signatures.

If you are a regular helper in the support forums, I urge you to make some kind of note warning users to research the validity of commands given, to wait until another forum member or two validates commands given, or just to avoid the most obviously bad commands (like sudo rm -rf /).

If you do not want to participate in this educational crusade, don't bother being a naysayer--just don't participate. If you are willing to make a change in your sig, though, that would be great.
    I'm in full support editing my signature now!
    Last edited by RAV TUX; November 21st, 2007 at 03:17 AM.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

I was just about to start a thread on this...anyways I've already changed my signature so I'm good to go

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Let's hope it goes away soon, meanwhile, I copied your sig on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll be sure to report any malicious commands I see to you mods so you can ban their @$$es. But hey... let God deal with those people, for karma is a *****, and may their hard drives crash the next day.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm speaking on my own behalf and not for the whole forum staff, but I do hope the rest of the staff agrees with me...........SNIP
    DONE.....what do you think of this one?
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.
    Please wait for confirmation from other members, as one user already had their system deleted due to malicious advice of a TROLL, who has since been banned from this site.
    That's great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't post in any helping capacity much, but I'm willing to spread the word.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans

You have my full support Aysiu.

We need to stop these clowns as it will set the movement back and really damage the reputation of Linux .
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; November 21st, 2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Fix typo
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Has this been happening since that one troll was flooding the ABT forum? I had a note during the attack, but I'm happy to make it permanent. Off to edit it now.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast