Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

With regard to your signature Aysiu, have you remembered about the second from bottom illustration of a terminal command on this page?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Call me a troll, but if somebody's stupid enough to follow advice like that, why would you care?
    It's not a case of a new user being stupid,it is a case of them not having the knowledge base...The first week I left Windows, I knew nothing about Linux,except I wanted to try it.
    Keep in mind,at one point in time, YOU knew nothing about Linux either. Did that make you stupid? No. .
    If this had happened to you when you started using Linux, I'm sure it would have left a bad taste in your mouth.
    If people feel they cannot come to a Linux forum and get the help they need,than they will give up...And not just give up,they will bad mouth Linux and all Linux users.
    It is important for Linux users to trust the information they offer each other will be of value,otherwise,we might as well fold up our collective tents and sulk into the sunset.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Well,it's obvious that aysiu hasn't just become the forum moderator overnight,he's been judged on his contributions and therefore newbies will trust his advice.....if they don't trust a moderator,who do they trust??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    It's not a case of a new user being stupid,it is a case of them not having the knowledge base...The first week I left Windows, I knew nothing about Linux,except I wanted to try it.
    Keep in mind,at one point in time, YOU knew nothing about Linux either. Did that make you stupid? No. .
    If this had happened to you when you started using Linux, I'm sure it would have left a bad taste in your mouth.
    If people feel they cannot come to a Linux forum and get the help they need,than they will give up...And not just give up,they will bad mouth Linux and all Linux users.
    It is important for Linux users to trust the information they offer each other will be of value,otherwise,we might as well fold up our collective tents and sulk into the sunset.
    Well, I respectfully disagree. When ~I~ was new to Linux, I moved from a then-ancient DOS system (that, admittedly, I only used to play games on) to Slackware on an almost-as-ancient machine. It was "what my friends were using". Did I need help? Most certainly. The man pages were useful. Occasionally I went to my friends for advice - and I never just blindly typed in whatever they say.

I still think people that blindly type in whatever people on the internet tell them to, without even so much as reading the manual? I still call that stupid.
    Last edited by Harpalus; November 22nd, 2007 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Harpalus View Post
    Well, I respectfully disagree. When ~I~ was new to Linux, I moved from a then-ancient DOS system (that, admittedly, I only used to play games on) to Slackware on an almost-as-ancient machine. It was "what my friends were using". Did I need help? Most certainly. The man pages were useful. Occasionally I went to my friends for advice - and I never just blindly typed in whatever they say.

I still think people that blindly type in whatever people on the internet tell them to, without even so much as reading the manual? I still call that stupid.
    The whole point of this is to educate new users about the risks of being overly trusting. Being overly trusting is not equal to global idiocy.

But, whatever, you think someone who would run a random command from a stranger is stupid, and therefore not worth helping. To me, this suggests that you believe the only valid form of education involves trial and error, or learning from one's mistakes. Ignoring the value of active education is, to my thinking, a recipe for a cruel worldview.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I heard about this issue a bit late. Have the threads in question been removed? I'm curious to see how the commands in question were presented and what the original problem was, then see if I can use this for some notes I'm collecting about public perceptions/reactions to malware.

It's so disappointing that some people want to do things a negative thing like that. a joke is a joke, but something like that can cause serious damage. I hope the victim wasn't turned off to ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ncappel1 View Post
    I heard about this issue a bit late. Have the threads in question been removed? I'm curious to see how the commands in question were presented and what the original problem was, then see if I can use this for some notes I'm collecting about public perceptions/reactions to malware.

It's so disappointing that some people want to do things a negative thing like that. a joke is a joke, but something like that can cause serious damage. I hope the victim wasn't turned off to ubuntu!
    The commands where blatently given with the knowledge the recipient didn't understand and would probably run them.

There are some cases of the command being a joke, but that is not what prompted this thread or announcement. The posts are gone now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ncappel1 View Post

Most of them went like:

Person A: Help, my (insert hardware) is not working. What should I do?
    Person B: Try (extremely dangerous command) and paste me the output.

It's not even phrased like a joke or obvious that it's a joke. This is way across the "not funny" border. As I've said before in a Res Center post, I make these kinds of jokes to my group of nerdy *nix friends all the time, but I know for a fact they all know exactly what these types of commands do. You cannot make a similar assertion here on the forums -- you have no idea if the passerby is a fluent Linux nerd or a non-native Linux user who might just look for commands and not understand/read enough to decipher sarcasm or the explanation of the joke.

So please, all I can do is remind everyone to be more considerate and save these jokes for a more responsible occasion
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i support this post!
    Read this the video at the end inspired me to switch to Ubuntu.
    if someone tells you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.
    let the geek be with you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Something seems wrong to me. If someone can delete there entire home directory with one single command ... seems like something should be done to address this -- possibly enable safe-checking by default in some config file that could be deactivated if you wanted to bypass it in the future.

Not to be a jerk, but I'm getting kind of tired seeing the whole don't type rm -rf if you don't know what you are doing. It tends to lose its significance when its plastered all over the place.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast