Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

You can not delete root user in the gui.
    In the gui, you can however delete quite a few folders from root. And the critical ones will be automatically recreated.

I accidently deleted my applications panel task bar while logged in as root in the gui. So I thought just delete root user and make a new one, no did not work. So then I just deleted everything I could in 'root' folder and certain folders just kept reappearing.
    Doing this got my panel back and everything set back to a default level.

Beans

Last edited by _sAm_; November 25th, 2007 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I'm in for this one, that said I just told someone in the beginners section to type "rd /s C:\Wubi" in a command prompt to clear the Wubi folder he can't delete...

But then I'm not malicious - just helping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I agree with your suggestion, and would add this: beginners and n00bies (like me) don't just go to the Absolute Beginners forum. And even experienced Linux users can be tricked. I would make the warning a bit stronger. If a command is not understood, it should be questioned.

My wife is not a Linux user. I was talking to her about this problem and explained what "rm -rf" meant, and she couldn't believe that someone had actually posted that as a solution to a user's problem. If she can see the seriousness of this situation then any reasonable person can understand it if it is explained to them.

If I come across anything like this (that I understand) I will certainly try to warn the requesting person to NOT use the code. I will also try to warn the moderators that a problem exists in that thread. I wouldl hope that others will, also.

I've just edited my sig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I have some reservations about man pages. Many of them - not all, though - seem to me to be written by geeks for geeks. On a number of occasions I've looked at them and felt just plain overwhelmed, and I don't consider myself particularly stupid. (Even my kids agree!) So how is a new user, especially one who is under stress because of something that's gone wrong, going to cope?

Just my thoughts.
    And good thoughts. Short answer? ASK! Long answer: Any script or command line code can be explained in such a way that even a n00bie like me can understand it. If requesting persons can be educated to ask for an explanation, then one level of security for them has been enacted. If people supplying answers will explain the code (break it down so a new user can understand) when they supply it, then a second level of security is enacted. I know it takes more time and effort, but the results help both the person with the problem and the person supplying the answer (the second because the best way to learn something is to have to teach it).

In the time that I've been using Ubuntu Linux (since Warty Warthog) I've been impressed with the level of help and compassion for new users on the Ubuntu Forums. I've seen times when I've read posts where I thought to myself, "why, I knew that." Yet I've never felt that it was out of place or Too Much Information because I realize that at some point I DIDN'T know that. I respect people that will take the time to explain fully what they are offering, and how and why to use it.

And I thank these forums for existing, and for the participants for their help and guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Is my sig good enough...or should I put something special?I put only the link since I read that Announcement and saw the various variations which could be done and that can't be covered in the 400 odd words of a sig.........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    Is my sig good enough...or should I put something special?I put only the link since I read that Announcement and saw the various variations which could be done and that can't be covered in the 400 odd words of a sig.........
    I think anything that will make the user stop for one moment and think is good enough. I really like how everyone is stepping up.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Call me a troll, but if somebody's stupid enough to follow advice like that, why would you care?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Harpalus View Post
    Call me a troll, but if somebody's stupid enough to follow advice like that, why would you care?
    It just looks bad on the community, and a lot of people will follow that advice because they think they are being helped. Once the system is hosed, they will most likley go back to windows and never give linux a second thought.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hedger View Post
    I havn't seen any malaicious posts but I've added a warning to my sig, I don't get some people I mean why screw people just for the hell of it?
    There are a number of reasons why people would post malicious code. Some of them are:
    1. To gain attention. People with a certain mindset feel the need to draw attention to themselves. But, not having the knowledge/experience or social skills necessary to garner respect, use shock tactics to make themselves "visible".
    2. To discredit an organization. By making it look like the organization is supplying bad information, they hope to keep people from using that organization and/or what it supports. And yes, there are people that would want to discredit Ubuntu. I would refer you to Bug #1.
    3. To cause trouble in general. There are those who like to do things like that, just because they can. It's a rather sad reflection on human society that such is the case, but consider: the original viral code was simply to see what could happen. That it has been since used for even more nefarious purposes simply shows that there are those out in the world who would exploit anything.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast