View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Thanks !

Having just installed 2.6.24.4, Ubuntu 7.10,
    works perfect!

Had to compile ndiswrapper for my wlan card - rt2500pci -
    but becoming used to it since the kernel driver almost
    stopped working since kernel introduced around august
    2007 - can't remember version though.
    Well - it works, but very s l o w .., so ndiswrapper (1.52)is the
    only solution.

Again - Thanks!

Bjorn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENT: KernelCheck 06.30.08 is being developed using Anjuta.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thank you so much for all the hard work you are putting into this as it enables newbies like me the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of recompiling without the time investment needed to achieve this goal by other means.

I have downloaded and used version 1.0.5 to really good effect, but I do have one question. Back last year there was a perl script drawn to your attention that removed unused modules from the kernel. Did you ever include this feature in kernelcheck, or should I give the instructions on the link to the script a go?

Mind you, they are instructions from someone in the know to others in the know! And a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Just that I am running gutsy on an old laptop with low specs. Anything that can increase performance is very, very welcome. At the moment it is just about OK...but only just.

well, thank you once again for a great tool and dedicated follow up with all the feedback you get.
    Many a mickle muches a markle

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by larryfroot View Post
    thank you so much for all the hard work you are putting into this as it enables newbies like me the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of recompiling without the time investment needed to achieve this goal by other means.

I have downloaded and used version 1.0.5 to really good effect, but I do have one question. Back last year there was a perl script drawn to your attention that removed unused modules from the kernel. Did you ever include this feature in kernelcheck, or should I give the instructions on the link to the script a go?

Mind you, they are instructions from someone in the know to others in the know! And a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Just that I am running gutsy on an old laptop with low specs. Anything that can increase performance is very, very welcome. At the moment it is just about OK...but only just.

well, thank you once again for a great tool and dedicated follow up with all the feedback you get.
    I did not include this in 1.0.5, but it is planned in HopeStar.
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Annoucement: Check out the new website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've just wanted to say that it is thanks to people like you that make Ubuntu and this community such a wonderfull place to be part of.
    You guys always "pushing it to the next level" in order to people like me trough a few clicks can enjoy the power and goods of a new kernel.

Thank You!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    I am running ubuntu 8.04-rc.
    I have today run the kernelcheck to latest kernel 2.6.25 (5 hours to build)
    Every thing seems to be ok except for sound no plug-ins found. Is there a quick way to fix this issue? Dell dimension 2400.
    Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    Ps.:With above new kernel firefox 3.0 is not hunting anymore for memory and is low on cpu load. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042704 Minefield/3.0pre

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by traxk View Post
    Hi,
    I am running ubuntu 8.04-rc.
    I have today run the kernelcheck to latest kernel 2.6.25 (5 hours to build)
    Every thing seems to be ok except for sound no plug-ins found. Is there a quick way to fix this issue? Dell dimension 2400.
    Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    Ps.:With above new kernel firefox 3.0 is not hunting anymore for memory and is low on cpu load. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042704 Minefield/3.0pre
    In xconfig (where you configure the kernel), go to Sound > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (press M to make it a module) > PCI Devices > Intel HD Audio (press M to make it a module, there should be a dot inside the box) and then let KernelCheck continue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for your reply,
    I cannot wake-up xconfig on my Pc, have tried all commands i found on the web no success. Boot time [2.6.25] is 310 and boot screen shows three progress bars instead of one. Printing does not work either cd/dvd do.
    Besides the above kernel 2.6.25 feels great and swift at handling tasks. I will have to wait for an update. Any other suggestion welcome, thanks.

I am using kernel 2.6.24-16 in case of...
    Thanks.
    Iakop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    In xconfig (where you configure the kernel), go to Sound > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (press M to make it a module) > PCI Devices > Intel HD Audio (press M to make it a module, there should be a dot inside the box) and then let KernelCheck continue.

Does this mean I need to do a complete rebuild of the kernel if I forgot something? Or is there a way to start xconfig and just build that portion? Fi so, how? Ubuntu 8.04 has the drivers for my Syntek webcam built in, but the kernelcheck script doesn't build them automatically. It doesn't do the drivers for my Intel 3945 wireless card either, but I coaght that one before I built the kernel.

Also, the firmware libraries for things such as my wireless card didn't get created for 2.6.25. I copied the one I have for 2.6.24-16 and renamed them to 2.6.25, and got it started. However I had to find and manually add the firmware for my TV card. Is there a way that kernelcheck can do this automagically?

Finally, I am getting a bios bug report on booting with 2.6.25 that I don't get with 2.6.24-16. something about a pci memory reservation problem. Any ideas why this would happen with 2.6.25? It does boot up ok.

Thanks!

Jon

Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast