Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many friends have you got to try Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How many friends have you got to try Ubuntu?

How many people have you convinced to try Ubuntu? I'm interested because today a friend of mine said she will try it on an old machine to see if she could use it for what she does.

Edit: I put a poll in this but I can't see it to add my 1 to.
    Last edited by k3lt01; November 20th, 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Add the Edit.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How many friends have you got to try Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    How many people have you convinced to try Ubuntu? I'm interested because today a friend of mine said she will try it on an old machine to see if she could use it for what she does.
    Well, I could "convince" my brother to use it to fix his XP installation, but once he did it, he stopped using Ubuntu. So, totally, I think I've convinced around... 0 people, give or take...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

everyone i try and convince is very intimidated. I think one of my friends is using it but not a bunch, just dabbling.

I've convinced my mother to use it, and she prefers it to Windows; she's been using it since Breezy.

My father is still convinced he bought Windows so he should use that.

My brother is entrenched in proprietary software for his university studies, but I think with enough time and inclination he would use it.

I've also installed it for four or five other people, but I don't think they rely on it for daily use. I've given away quite a few live CDs, and some of them I'm sure have made converts.

compiledkernel has converted something like 50 people or more ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've convinced one person to give it a serious go. I never "evangelize" about Linux, but he was having serious problems with XP, and Linux seemed like a good alternative for him.

This was at a temporary job at a local university. This guy was an archaeologist who spent a lot of time in the Middle East and northern Africa. He was always on unsecured and kind of dangerous wireless networks, and didn't really have much choice. A competent user but not a power user. In any case, Norton didn't protect him quite as well as advertised, and his laptop ended up completely messed up.

So, I told him about Ubuntu, and guided him through installing it as a dual-boot (I also gave him some advice on using Windows better). He liked the OS immediately, and was sold on the better default security model.

This was my last week on that job, though, so I don't know how it ended up. His wireless didn't work out of the box, so I don't know if he decided to track down the how-tos for ndiswrapper or just gave up.

My dad has repeatedly expressed interest. He finds XP ridiculously bloated (specifically, compared to MS-DOS), and has some experience with SCO UNIX from the late '90s. I've sent him a live disk, and told him about Virtualbox, but I don't think he's had the time to dig into it too much.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Got my dad to install it, however he was having recurring video & hibernate problems, so he eventually gave up & switched back to windows.

Got my wife to use it, however she experiences intermittent stability & performance problems with firefox & openoffice spreadsheet, plus the spotty support for printer/scanner/copier combined units & other devices she wants is a big downside, so I'm buying her a MacBook within the next week.

I, however, will stick with ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Two, but both unsuccessfully. Neither one could get their wireless working. One friend had a pretty nice Dell desktop while the other one had a cheesy B130. The one with the desktop still uses Linux every now and again, though.
    Long Live TechTV!!

"Diane, I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies."
    -Special Agent Dale Cooper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

um...3.

and I put an ad on the internet to do it for people too.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?" --Alice in Wonderland

If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't really like the word convert ( sounds like religion), but thus far I have only mentioned the idea of using it to my family. Everyone could use Ubuntu in my house, because none of them use any applications that are Windows only. Office suite and web browsing is the most they do. My brother does download music, but I have no idea what site. My mom has a Mac from school (shes a teacher).

My brothers computer is currently sitting in my room until I can get an OS on it. He wouldn't bother with Ubuntu because he doesn't even know how to fix a wireless connection, let alone get a driver for the card. My mom just use the schools Mac and can't mess with it (can't even install the home printer on it).

My dad is the one who freaks out the most when I suggest using Ubuntu to fix a computer or as a main OS. Out of all of us, he could switch to Ubuntu with the least problems. I don't know why he gets so mad.

So those that i have gotten to try Ubuntu? Zero. Mabye my girlfriend will be nice and let me put it on her computer.
    Be kind to others. Even those that are not kind to you. You never know if their mom just died.
    -My Mom

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

1, their Dial up (they live in the mountains) didn't work, so they went back to windows. Also, it had some bad Xserver problems and barely could run the Live-CD because it only had 256MB of RAM. Ubuntu would be perfect, they only use their computer to look thing up on the internet and occasionally some other simple tasks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast