Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MagicSysRq keys for assistance with Ubuntu troubles

Beans

Re: MagicSysRq keys for assistance with Ubuntu troubles

I've encountered this sort of problems while suing ubuntu

and got no ideas to handle the frozen system.

this have help a lot

haven‘t finish reading;

just make a mark here;

Beans

Could this be made into a sticky? It may help save some hardware from becoming damaged after having the plugged pulled.

IMO the more people who know about this the better.

Beans

good thread!
    Asus EEE PC900

Beans

I'm sorry if this seems like a really trivial question, but does it matter if the letters in RSEIOU are capital or not? If it does matter, can I use the CAPS lock or do I have to hold down shift as well? If I do need to hold down shift, I'm going to be running out of fingers very soon... Thanks for the tutorial though, it will really help me out.

Beans

There's no need for upper case. Give it a test and see if it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I noticed something really stupid(and really small for that matter), I had put PrintScreen where that should really be SysRq, which would have confused people(like me) whose keyboards have PrintScreen and SysRq in different places.

Really sorry for the silly mistake.

ooobooontooo:- I just capitalised the letters to emphasize that they are part of your keyboard, nothing more.

Everyone else:- Glad the thread helped you.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OP should really change this.

"Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring"
    Sync before terminate and kill? Terminate and kill will likely cause files to be changed. You should either do SEISUB or just EISUB. Remember, this is a dirty unmount and doesn't automatically flush buffers the way the unmount command normally would. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but never really discussed, and I think this needs to be brought out in the open. So:

BUSIER backwards, "Reboot Even If System's Utterly Broken", "Raising Skinny Elephants Is So Utterly Boring", or "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring" are the best ways to go about this.

As an aside, has anyone noticed this no longer working in Intrepid from within X? It works from the shell, but when I try from within X I only get the gnome-screencapture window popping up. I've tried both Alt on the left and Alt Gr on the right, hitting "Print Screen" with and without the shift key depressed, remapping Capture Window to something other than "alt+print screen", etc. Even though my laptop has a Print Scrn/Sys Req key, I've even tried using the Fn key with no results. I had done it once or twice previously, but I'm not sure if that was Gutsy or Feisty... it's not something I've needed often.
    Search first, ask questions later!
    From Thread Tools, "Mark this thread as solved" if your problem's been solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I, too, have been unable to use Magic SysRq. I am running 8.10 on an AMD64 system. I also have a dual-head setup. I've never before tried to use Magic SysRq, so I don't know if it would have worked with, say, Hardy, or without the dual-head setup. "echo h > /proc/sysrq-trigger" seems to work, and prints its helpful help message to /var/log/syslog just fine. But the key combinations do not. It's like the kernel never hears them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Reilithion View Post
    I, too, have been unable to use Magic SysRq. I am running 8.10 on an AMD64 system. I also have a dual-head setup. I've never before tried to use Magic SysRq, so I don't know if it would have worked with, say, Hardy, or without the dual-head setup. "echo h > /proc/sysrq-trigger" seems to work, and prints its helpful help message to /var/log/syslog just fine. But the key combinations do not. It's like the kernel never hears them.
    Same here, except i am using a custom kernel and the 32bit version.

Maybe we need to reprogram a configuration to accept the printscreen key as sysreq..

I think it has something to do with our X configurations as i got the keys to work from a VT console.
    Last edited by The_Rebel52; January 31st, 2009 at 11:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rebel52 View Post
    Same here, except i am using a custom kernel and the 32bit version.

Maybe we need to reprogram a configuration to accept the printscreen key as sysreq..

I think it has something to do with our X configurations as i got the keys to work from a VT console.
    I'll take a look at this and see what is up.

OP should really change this.

"Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring"
    Sync before terminate and kill? Terminate and kill will likely cause files to be changed. You should either do SEISUB or just EISUB. Remember, this is a dirty unmount and doesn't automatically flush buffers the way the unmount command normally would. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but never really discussed, and I think this needs to be brought out in the open. So:

BUSIER backwards, "Reboot Even If System's Utterly Broken", "Raising Skinny Elephants Is So Utterly Boring", or "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring" are the best ways to go about this.
    I'll take a look at this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Sorry if I haven't been active here for stuff I should have been, I've been very busy these days and could not find much time.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast