Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Compile & Install Osmo Organizer

Beans
    Hidden!

[Howto] Compile & Install Osmo Organizer

Osmo is a great little organizer (or as they put it "A Handy Personal Organizer"), with a nifty tabbed display which integrates a Calendar with Tasks, Contacts and Notes in a single app.

Here's a (post-configured) screenshot - default config looks godawful, with HUGE fonts and horrible colours.

Now, Osmo still isn't pre-compiled or distributed in binary format, so if you want to try it out, you'll have to get your hands dirty. Not too much, it's pretty easy.

First things first, so... we have to go and get the source --> here (that's Osmo's sourceforge)

When I wrote this [Howto] latest version was v0.1.6. (updated - 20071224)

Let's open up a terminal, and extract the source with the following command (make sure you cd to the folder to where you downloaded the .tar.gz file)

Code:
    tar xvf osmo-0.1.6.tar.gz
    And then cd into the created folder with Osmo's source code.

It's time to satisfy the app's dependencies. From reading Osmo's homepage, we know it depends on libxml2 and libgtk2.0 ( version >= 2.10 ). Ubuntu's Gutsy repos satisfy those dependencies, but chances are you won't have the -dev packages installed for compiling. Just to make sure we use the terminal to

Code:
    sudo aptitude install libxml2 libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgettext-ruby1.8
    That should bring a few extra packages attached, if you didn't have them installed previously. If you can afford an extra 15MB of downloads and around 50MB of HDD space, go ahead and do it. You can always remove both those -dev packages and the extra stuff after compiling Osmo.

N.B.: libgettext-ruby1.8 has been reported by a few people to be a, probably, unexpected dependency. It's happened a few times due to an internationalization dependency regarding package "msgfmt" which is included in libgettext-ruby1.8. So if compilation throws out a "msgfmt" error, be sure to include mentioned package

N.B.2: Version 0.1.6 released the 24th December added iCalendar file support. Both libical and libical-dev are not present in Gutsy's repos, though they are in Hardy's and haven't been backported (at least not to my knowledge). Those two packages are needed to have iCalendar's support enabled, so only Hardy users will be able to take advantage of that specific new feature.

When you have all dependencies lined up, it's a pretty straightforward process.

Code:
    ./configure
    it shouldn't throw around any errors, if all went well until now. And then, to finish it off...

Code:
    make && sudo make install
    or alternatively you can use checkinstall instead (which will add the app to Synaptic, making it easier to manage/remove later on)

Code:
    make && sudo checkinstall -D
    (Checkinstall will also upgrade the old installed version, should you decide to compile a newer one)

That way it'll also create a .deb file for you to keep and install on other machines you may have.

Et voilá!

Launch Osmo at the terminal to test it out (just type "osmo" and it'll launch immediately, and create the appropriate launcher for your specific DE. Enjoy your new private virtual secretary.

I'm using it specifically with Claws-Mail and it's only too bad they don't share/synchronize the address book, looks like something I'll be requesting (as well as the ability to copy notes from one day to another). Take a look at the date calculator, it's pretty... handy, as well!
    Last edited by Onyros; December 24th, 2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added checkinstall option at the end, corrected typo; updated version
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: [Howto] Compile & Install Osmo Organizer

Thanks for this howto. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

I had to also install libgettext-ruby1.8 and (just cause) libgettext-ruby-util.

It needed msgfmt.

Awesome program. Just wish it could be minimized to tray. EDIT:: In due time it will.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Excellent. Have just installed following the howto and all is good.

This is just about the lightest and one of the easiest calendar/organizer apps I've seen!
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wildkarde View Post
    Thanks for this howto. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

I had to also install libgettext-ruby1.8 and (just cause) libgettext-ruby-util.

It needed msgfmt.

Awesome program. Just wish it could be minimized to tray. EDIT:: In due time it will.
    That's odd! During the compilation it doesn't ask for any of those, and they're not listed anywhere as dependencies, I really can't replicate that problem here. Were you installing anything else at the same time, had installed something which dependencies weren't met?

I know Ubuntu's version of Kazehakase (as an example) has those as dependencies, but it doesn't make sense for Osmo. (In my view it doesn't for Kazehakase, they should be recommended, but that's a whole different story).

Anyone else who had that problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

During the ./configuration, it doesn't ask for it. But when it was time to do the make install it kept failing because of a program 'msgfmt' not being present. Later on today, i'll remove the package and try to duplicate the process.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wildkarde View Post
    During the ./configuration, it doesn't ask for it. But when it was time to do the make install it kept failing because of a program 'msgfmt' not being present. Later on today, i'll remove the package and try to duplicate the process.
    Thanks, mate

msgfmt is indeed part of the gettext packages, so it may have something to do with localization? Are you using something different from UTF-8 in your system? Something a little more "exotic", perhaps?

Lemme know how it went, so I can post any corrections the Howto may need!
    Last edited by Onyros; November 21st, 2007 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry for the late late reply.

I removed the package, the osmo directory and the packages ' libgettext-ruby1.8 libgettext-ruby-util'.

Following your advice, I checked on my language settings and it complained that there were some packages missing. It did its thing and afterwards I tried to compile osmo again.

It worked and did not ask for the package as it had done before.

Beans

Thanks for this i got it working although i did have to add the extra packages too, nice proggie!

Beans
    Hidden!

Ah, glad you guys got it working! If you can pinpoint the necessary additional packages, let me know so I can add them to the how-to

BTW, new version out (I missed version 0.1.3! edit: never mind, it skipped from 0.1.2 to 0.1.4), it's at v0.1.4 and it's looking cooler and with a few more goodies (tray icon!, birthday browser, current time display, etc)
    Last edited by Onyros; December 4th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

I added all the packages mentioned above and tried compiling after each but it wouldent work for me until msgfmt. was installed so maybe thats the one needed?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast