Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4 with remote tutorial

Beans

HOWTO: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4 Rev 1 and Rev2 with remote tutorial

Quick Note

As of Ubuntu 8.10 driver installation is no longer necessary for rev 1 tuners and no longer necessary for rev2 as of 9.04 you just need to pop the attached firmware into /lib/firmware if you have the rev 2 then you dont need the firmware.

Driver Installation

sudo -i

apt-get update

apt-get install install mercurial build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

cd v4l-dvb

make && make install

exit

Rev 2 is now supported

thanks to Anton Blanchard
    it is has now been merged into tip. follow same steps for rev1 but dont worry about firmware
    rev 2 does not require firmware

Firmware Installation

as of writing this 25/08/08 the firmware for dvico no longer needs chris pascoes australian firmware you need one single file called
    xc3028-v27.fw

i found a script on a mailing list that extracts it from some hauppauge drivers i will attach the firmware here just extract it to
    /lib/firmware

download xc3028-v27.fw.tar.bz2
    tar xvjf xc3028-v27.fw.tar.bz2
    sudo cp xc3028-v27.fw /lib/firmware

reboot

Quick test

apt-get install dvb-utils

scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-sydney_north_shore > channels.conf

sudo cp channels.conf /etc && cp channels.conf ~/.tzap

tzap -c /etc/channels.conf -r "ABC2"

leave open and from a new terminal window as a normal user type

mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

the above example assumes your in sydney you can find your conf file for your town or city in /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t

now su back to normal user by typing "exit" or "su - user"

Remote installation

Create Symlink

type

dmesg | grep IR

you should see somthing like this

input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input6

now open /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules

gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules

or kubuntu

kdesu kate /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules

and add this line at the bottom

KERNEL=="event*",SYSFS{name}=="IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver",SYMLINK="input/irremote"

reboot so /dev/input/irremote is made

UPDATE:
    on newer versions of udev ATTRS is used instead of SYSFS as SYSFS is no longer accepted i.e
    KERNEL=="event*",ATTRS{name}=="IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver",SYMLINK="input/irremote"

I dont know which version this change took effect but I had to change it once my system had upgraded to 175-2

Configuring LIRC

in a console type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

scroll down to linux input layer then select it

on page 2 for IR transmitter select none

on page 3 select /dev/input/irremote

download attached lirc1.tar.bz2 if you remote look like this

and download lirc2.tar.bz2 if you remote looks like this

replace lircx with lirc1 or lirc2 in terminal type

tar xvjf lircx.tar.bz2

cd lircx

sudo cp -R lirc /etc

Install the basic lircrc config for mythtv

mv /etc/lirc/lircrc ~/.mythtv

ln -s ~/.mythtv/lircrc ~/.lircrc

sudo ln -s ~/.mythtv/lircrc /etc

sudo ln -s ~/.mythtv/lircrc /etc/lirc

now restart lircd

sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

test

irw

press keys on remote

Rev 2 remote

i dont not own a rev 2 tuner i cannot test or produce working configs thanks to tvars i now have a working lircd.conf for the rev2 remote and have updated the attached lirc2 files to be complient

you will have to make a lircrc from scratch or modify mine that is attached also

Different Remote's Bundled with DD4

if your remote looks like this then use lirc1.tar.bz2
    if your remote looks like this then use lirc2.tar.bz2
    you need to map a few extra buttons in lircrc for lirc2 but most of the buttons will work as is

apperently this one works with the lirc2 config aswell
    however there are different remotes around the instructions above for the most part will still work but you will have to make your own lircd.conf
    and lircrc files i would welcome people to add there remote's pics and configs in this thread

Trouble Shooting

There only 2 issues i can think off one is that sometimes one of the tuners disappears or becomes unaccessible
    and the other is "dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -110" spamming the terminal making the keyboard and mouse erratic see here
    I haven't had many issues with the first one for ages may be fixed and the 2nd very very rarely since the dvico drivers started
    using non AU firmware ( I dont blame the AU firmware im simply using this as a time line) anyhow both can be resolved by turning off PC for a minute then turning it back on rebooting will not resolve this.

dont know which revision? you can check with lsusb you should see 0fe9:db78 DVICO for rev1 and 0fe9:db98 DVICO for rev2

in ubuntu 8.10 the remote gets detected by hal as a pointer device making the remote not work at all you can fix it with this post

Its's worth pointing out to newbies if you upgrade your kernel through ubuntu updates you will need to reinstall your drivers some people didnt relise this they also had trouble grabbing new source cause the old v4l-dvb source was in the same directory you dont need new source but it's recommended you can rm -rf v4l-dvb and repeat the steps above which is probably the easiest way. to use the old source "cd v4l-dvb" and type "make distclean". dont use the quoutes, if you have trouble understanding what i just said then just delete v4l-dvb and start from scratch at the top of the guide

For Karmic Users

kernel 2.6.31 seems to mess up a lot the tuners dont work and the console is constantly flooded

adding this line "options dvb-core dvb_powerdown_on_sleep=0" to /etc/modprobe.d/options will fix it

Mailing list

Join the linuxtv mailing list and report your bugs a lot of people tend to make the mistake of reporting bugs
    in a distro specific way when it actually is the code that goes into the kernel that requires appendages. ( this requires users to know the difference). not being cheeky this is an example of a bug that ubuntu developers cannot fix and requires input from v4l-dvb developers https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/229879

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-media
    http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php

Extrenal Links

http://turtlespond.net/scripts/dvb-t.html
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...ol_.28Lircd.29
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m?t=919552&p=7
    http://www.ozmyth.com/wiki/Configuri...ian+Digital+TV
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oobe-feisty; November 30th, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4 with remote tutorial

Hi - This was a very useful page (particularly getting the FusionHDTV remote working). Two of the command lines got attacked by smilies when posted, they being the CVS version control commands for installing lirc. They probably should read (keeping the whole word cvsroot as well)

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@lirc.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/lirc login
    Enter
    cvs -z8 -d:pserver:anonymous@lirc.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/lirc co lirc

Thanks for a great peice of work
    Last edited by tsharkey; March 8th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.

Beans

Just want to say thanks for this! I tried every other guide I could find and this was the one that did the trick!

Thanks heaps!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm not sure what your script did . . . but it works! Thank you so much. I tried sooooo many other avenues until I was nearly googled out . . . with no luck. So thanks again.

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4 with remote tutorial

I have changed this tutorial dramatically i took out a bunch of info on testing as there are many generic dvb-t instructions around plus i stopped using a script as dd4 support is now in the main hg repo it should work again now anyone who has problems should post here
    Last edited by oobe-feisty; August 28th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Beans

at last a clear and easy tutorial.....big thanx

Beans

I hope someone can help, have been reading the many posts and tutorials for dvico dual digi 4 tuner rev 2 and remote. I have been successful through these tutorials in getting my tuner to work many thanks for that. I am struggling with remote though. I can see the input devices created on boot through dmesg i get /dev/input/event7 and /dev/input/event8 but they do not seem to receive anything when i press buttons on the remote. I have cloned the latest v4l-dvb source and even cxusb each time the tuner works but not the remote. I am running up to date mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 with kernel 2.6.24-21 the only message visible on boot is error dvb_register (-22)

is it possible to get the remote working?

Rgs
    John

Beans

I followed the exact steps for rev 2 of the card (except for the cd command should be cxusb) and it still doesn't work!! If any one can tell me how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it. I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04.1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire29 View Post
    I followed the exact steps for rev 2 of the card (except for the cd command should be cxusb) and it still doesn't work!! If any one can tell me how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it. I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04.1
    i really cant help you as you have not given much info on your situation all i can suggest is that you perhaps try an older revision of the cxusb tree perhaps the the day rev 2 support was added or you compile a vanilla kernel and try again i dont own a rev 2 and cannot give good support on it really im basing what i wrote reguarding rev2 on the whirlpool thread that i added to external links

can you see /dev/dvb "ls /dev/dvb/*"

does dmesg say anything

"dmesg | grep DVB"
    "dmesg | grep dvb"
    dmesg | grep error"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by itne View Post
    I hope someone can help, have been reading the many posts and tutorials for dvico dual digi 4 tuner rev 2 and remote. I have been successful through these tutorials in getting my tuner to work many thanks for that. I am struggling with remote though. I can see the input devices created on boot through dmesg i get /dev/input/event7 and /dev/input/event8 but they do not seem to receive anything when i press buttons on the remote. I have cloned the latest v4l-dvb source and even cxusb each time the tuner works but not the remote. I am running up to date mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 with kernel 2.6.24-21 the only message visible on boot is error dvb_register (-22)

is it possible to get the remote working?

Rgs
    John
    can you see somthing like this " input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input6"
    when you type "dmesg | grep IR-rec" ?

what steps have you taken to test the device?

what lircd.conf files are you using?

have you looked at the whirlpool thread i left?

or the old mythtv wiki dvico thread as that thread is still relevant in terms of making a functional lircd.conf that is how i made mine that i have attached?

does your remote look anything like the picks i have linked?

if you are already using a working lircd.conf then you may need to go over the steps to link your /dev/input correctly

im happy to work this out with you im particularly interested in getting working lirc configs for the rev2 to add to this thread the linked lircd files are both known to work
    with rev one and the whirpool thread i linked contains someones working rev 2 lircd.conf once you get this fixed with or without my help i would appreciate you linking your working configs and how you remedied the situation so i can update this thread

EDIT: i think the reason the remote is not working is because in dmesg your remote device makes different text out put to this line

"IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver"

you need to do " dmesg | grep IR " or dmesg | grep IR-rec to find out if it is different then you need to modifiy the line you added in

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules

to KERNEL=="event*",SYSFS{name}=="Whatever rev2 now says in dmesg",SYMLINK="input/irremote"

and make sure you have REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/irremote" in your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
    Last edited by oobe-feisty; September 22nd, 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast