Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Time With Fedora 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: My Time With Fedora 8

Ok, just to chime in here....

I have Gutsy on a desktop at home and I had it on a laptop, but I had to take it off, and replace the laptop with Fedora 8. I could not get suspend to work properly in Gutsy. It worked out of the box in Fedora 8.

Also, I can't get Update Manager to work through an authenticated proxy. Fedora happily tells me when there are software updates available in the Gnome Panel.

2 big pluses for me.

I too had issues with fonts but found this site, and now I am happy:

http://www.bevenhall.se/jim/fedora-cleartype/

Overall, I am quite happy with yum. I did cut my teeth on Red Hat 4, so I may be a bit prejudiced. Both distros have their strengths and weaknesses. I do wish Fedora 8 used sudo for everything, instead of root, the way ubuntu does...

Andy
    Last edited by apastuszak; November 27th, 2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
    Overall, I am quite happy with yum. I did cut my teeth on Red Hat 4, so I may be a bit prejudiced. Both distros have their strengths and weaknesses. I do wish Fedora 8 used sudo for everything, instead of root, the way ubuntu does...

Andy
    Not sure that you can completely disable the root account, but you can easily "turn on" the sudo ability for your user. Near the bottom of the /etc/sudoers file you can uncomment a line (its labeled) to enable the wheel group to run all commands and set env. variables. Once you have uncommented this line, simply add your user to the wheel group, then log out and back in. Now you can use sudo just like Ubuntu.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yeah, that piece I know about. The problem is that the gui based tools in the Applications menu all ask for Root's password and not your password. That part would have to get rewritten.

I'm curious what it would take to make that happen. Perhaps we could modify Fedora to give you an install option to either use sudo or use root for management.

Andy

Beans

Yeah, that piece I know about. The problem is that the gui based tools in the Applications menu all ask for Root's password and not your password. That part would have to get rewritten.

I'm curious what it would take to make that happen. Perhaps we could modify Fedora to give you an install option to either use sudo or use root for management.

Andy
    All you would need to do is change the .desktop files I believe. Instead of having the launch command as root, merely add a 'sudo' in front of it. I don't think you would have to do any code re-writing per se. And if you did, you would go to the srpms and make your change in the code, then rebuild and replace the originals.

How many apps are you having issues with? The only thing I can think of is the nautilus "launch as root" feature. And the yum-updatesd-helper, but I disable it because it always fails and ties up the yum lock until I manually kill it anyways . I suppose pirut and/or yumex would as well. But these could all be fixed by adding the sudo prefix to the launch command.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Archnix View Post
    Well, I think I may be back for good. I used Fedora 8 for almost two weeks, and there was an awful lot that I liked about it. Ultimately though, I couldn't get past Fedora's package management system, which made tweaking my system more difficult than on Debian based systems. I also had font troubles (sidenote: If I had to compliment Gutsy Developers on just one thing, beautiful font rendering. No tweaking necessary), that were solveable, in theory.

What does Fedora have going for it right now?

1. Great default theme. I didn't even change it. Nice wallpaper. Icons. The default theme's colours are changeable. Just a great, great job. Kudos to the artwork team over there, you've set the bar high for the hardy crew.

2. The music mixer, pulse audio. One thing I miss in ubuntu from Vista is the ability to set sound volume individually per application. Fedora has that, and hopefully Hardy will too.

3. Great community. Anyone used to the great community here will feel right at home over there.

4. Nice startup. Bit smoother and nicer than Ubuntu. Still does a few switches to black text, but it's definitely more polished.

Using their add/remove was onerous. That's it. It's not even Yum I was disliking, it was their gui frontend. And fonts. Anywho... time to look around and see what I've missed....
    I also used the newest version of Fedora, and I will say it was pretty nice. The only problem is that the command script is different from Ubuntu, and I decided to stick with Kubuntu. I do still have that newest version of Fedora on one of my other machines, but I'm just using that to learn Fedora, because I have so many friends that use Fedora. KUBUNTU ALL THE WAY!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, just to chime in here....

I have Gutsy on a desktop at home and I had it on a laptop, but I had to take it off, and replace the laptop with Fedora 8. I could not get suspend to work properly in Gutsy. It worked out of the box in Fedora 8.

Also, I can't get Update Manager to work through an authenticated proxy. Fedora happily tells me when there are software updates available in the Gnome Panel.

2 big pluses for me.

I too had issues with fonts but found this site, and now I am happy:

http://www.bevenhall.se/jim/fedora-cleartype/

Andy
    Hey, many thanks for suggesting that site. A lifesaver imho.

I am now on Fedora 8..I quite like it. Suspend/Hibernate works, which it didn't on Gutsy, and it's pretty fast/stable too.
    Artwork, etc are all pretty nice. Nodoka theme looks great. Yum is also a nice tool, although it did seem a little slow to get packages. Pirut..hmm..well, it needs a lot of improvement. As for the codec-buddy, well, I don't like it at all. I am not a US resident, and I am not going to pay money for codecs which I can get for free. This site helped a lot : The Unofficial Fedora FAQ

Otherwise, my other issues were regarding fonts..which are now solved, and I also mistakenly enabled development repos, and nearly broke my system as I was installing packages intended for FC9..but I solved that in the nick of time. Also, NetworkManager asks me for my password everytime, I think it's more GnomeKeyring nonsense..probably will end up installing wicd.

I think it's a great distro, you just have to wrap your head around it. Yum is a good packaging tool, shame about the frontend, though. IMHO, pirut needs a rewrite, it's slow, and doesn't show enough information when installing packages. Just a progress bar. Fedora Core 1 was my first foray into Linux, and F8 represents a substantial improvement. Thanks to Suspend/Hibernate working now..it might just replace Ubuntu for me.

Beans

Also, NetworkManager asks me for my password everytime, I think it's more GnomeKeyring nonsense..probably will end up installing wicd.
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...+gnome-keyring
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm using Fedora 8 right now and so far so good. I'm really liking it. I'm surprised that it is as different from ubuntu as it is. I always thought that Gnome is Gnome no matter what OS you're using, but this is a little different. For example, nautilus doesn't have the Back, Forward, Home, Computer, buttons. Which is odd. I'll have to find some way to fix that.

I agree that the default fonts are undesirable. they are too small I think. That's definitely going to be one of the first things I fix.

I was quite surprised that on my ATI Radeon, Desktop Effects "just worked". No endless tweaking like I had to do in Ubuntu. No installing new drivers. No searching through How-Tos trying to figure out what happened to my Desktops when cube is turned on. I have to give the Fedora team for solving things for ATI users, who often feel left out in Linux.

One other thing that I loved about the installation process is that I didn't have to select when partition to use (i dual boot). It just gave an option to overwrite the linux partitions and did everything for me, no input needed on my part.

I'm going to stay with Fedora 8 for now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    I'm using Fedora 8 right now and so far so good. I'm really liking it. I'm surprised that it is as different from ubuntu as it is. I always thought that Gnome is Gnome no matter what OS you're using, but this is a little different. For example, nautilus doesn't have the Back, Forward, Home, Computer, buttons. Which is odd. I'll have to find some way to fix that.
    preferences > behaviour and then check "always open in browser window.

I thought the same thing at first, but now I kind of like it.

Also, I've been using Fedora for about a week, and I really like it. The only thing that bothers me is that in Ubuntu, there were some data DVDs that I had that would only mount via the command line, but here the command line won't even work for that. Although to be honest, I haven't been looking very hard for the solution, and I'm sure it's just a simple edit in my fstab.
    I have already praised Fedora in another thread on this board, so I won't again.
    Last edited by mthei; January 1st, 2008 at 05:26 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123