Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Extra Pentium II Box - What should I do with it?

Beans

Re: Extra Pentium II Box - What should I do with it?

May I ask how you got a hold of it? I am hoping soon someone will offer me an older computer that I could throw a server distro on and play around with.

How could you work on a computer that has no monitor? When you are first setting it up it would have to have a monitor, correct?

Later would you be able to have no keyboard and mouse also by just logging into it remotely?
    Your Ubuntu User number is # 15355

A must Read for anyone interested in Computer Programming.

Beans

curious as to what resolution is considered full on your system?
    800x600. This is a tv were talking about, and the video card only support tv-out at that resolution. It's a miracle i even got that old ati card to work with tv-out to be perfectly honest.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFinger View Post
    May I ask how you got a hold of it? I am hoping soon someone will offer me an older computer that I could throw a server distro on and play around with.

How could you work on a computer that has no monitor? When you are first setting it up it would have to have a monitor, correct?

Later would you be able to have no keyboard and mouse also by just logging into it remotely?
    Yup. I had a monitor plugged in when first installing my server but now all it has plugged in is the network cable and the power. I use ssh to do anything on it
    Last edited by mellowd; November 17th, 2007 at 12:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mellowd View Post
    Yup. I had a monitor plugged in when first installing my server but now all it had plugged in is the network cable and the power. I use ssh to do anything on it
    Same here, only since I have a full desktop environment on my server I prefer to use VNC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    This is a phenomenal link. Thank you so much!
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've got a 600mhz p3 that isn't THAT much faster than your pII.

I use it for a TONNE of really useful stuff. I can use it as an SSH proxy when I'm in a wireless cafe with my notebook, it has a 250GB drive in it and I mount the drive over the LAN using sshfs so it appears local, it runs azureus 24/7, it runs a web server, it runs a VNC server so I can tunnel through ssh and get a full gui up wherever I am in the world.

It runs xfce acceptably well. Try fluxbox, that should work great on old hardware.

sam

Forgot to add - I also have a VERY nice sound card in it with a lot of mixing facilities and I can access them all as well as play music through ssh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234