Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu the "gateway distro"?

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu the "gateway distro"?

Hi,

Couldn't agree with you more:

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Ubuntu's probably the most attractive version of Linux for a newbie, in my opinion. You could argue that this one or that one, all by itself, is simpler to use, but the community here is just unbelievable and that's what makes the difference. Even if some things take a little more work, there's more people to help you through it.

So I can't help but wonder: does that make Linux the "gateway" distro? Helping people pop their Linux cherry and then, giving them the confidence that they can indeed change their OS, helping them go and try another?
    I popped my cherry with Dapper Drake and after a long slow apprenticeship I have settled with Slackware. So yes, I agree completely with the idea of a 'gateway' distro. Now if only the Slackware guys were a little more friendly ....

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ubuntu; Linux for Human Beings.
    They can have the Desktop, Linux will have the World.
    Proof is in here!

Beans

Hi:

Quote Originally Posted by kopinux View Post
    Ubuntu; Linux for Human Beings.
    Hmmm.... yes that is the slogan and marketing catch-cry. It is part of a slick marketing campaign that is I believe not the best aspect of Ubuntu.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Here's why Ubuntu is so popular: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

Sadly Ubuntu is far from the best distro for first time users and is a little bit rough round the edges, so it's a good thing that this forum is so helpful.

PCLinuxOS is much easier to configure with GUI tools for everything,
    Linux Mint is also a good choice for new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I started using Ubuntu with Breezy Badger about 2 years ago. At the time, my intent was to get my feet wet in the waters of Linux, and I figured after a while I'd move on to a more "advanced" distro.

I used dapper for a while, and even switched my laptop over to Ubuntu, making a rather complete switch to Linux.

Then edgy came out. I had such a terrible time upgrading, I tried to use that opportunity to switch to something else. I tried Slackware and Gentoo and Open SuSE, but nothing seemed to work. My desktop stuck with Dapper up until feisty, and my laptop dual booted Windows and edgy.

When I bought a System76 Gazelle, I decided I was sticking with Ubuntu for the long haul. There may be a few things that could be improved about Ubuntu, but I've found it to be the most accessible operating system around.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    You know I didn't even realize Compiz was "default". I installed it right on top of things and never knew about it until I read it in here a few days ago.

Hey, a side question...

I also wonder if, as Ubuntu rises in popularity, people will start drifting away from it simply because it's popular. Obviously there's a contingent of Linux users who use their computers the way most people use their CD collections, and use their Linux installations as a way to break away from the pack.

If suddenly half the planet is on Ubuntu, how many people will switch to another one just to avoid being "one of the millions", like all of the fans of various bands do when they get too popular?

You'd notice if you had videocard and X problems which is only more likely with it sadly. As much as you want to "wow" a person, you gotta have a stable, working system. A crashing OS does more to damage ubuntu than a cube does to help it. I just don't think relying on somebody with a record as bad as ATI for drivers, and not only that but with early beta software as a component that can take down x is a good idea. Not on by default at least.

As a side answer...people don't seem to drift away from Microsoft or Apple no matter how popular it gets so no, I don't think the ammount of people leaving to other distros would be significant to the newbies coming on the front doors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Here's why Ubuntu is so popular: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

Sadly Ubuntu is far from the best distro for first time users and is a little bit rough round the edges, so it's a good thing that this forum is so helpful.

PCLinuxOS is much easier to configure with GUI tools for everything,
    Linux Mint is also a good choice for new users.
    Id like to make a poll of how many people just downloaded their cd and how many people paid for it as opposed to how many people used that free cd thing.

My guess is that given the popularity, even Mark would have gone broke by now if he had to paid for so many free cds but thats just me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, to support the starter of this thread, Ubuntu is what won me over
    Parental Advisory Explicit Content

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriid View Post
    Id like to make a poll of how many people just downloaded their cd and how many people paid for it as opposed to how many people used that free cd thing.
    The "free CD thing" enables people without a fast reliable internet connection to come to the party, making Ubuntu more inclusive than any other distro I know of.

It also generates a lot of interest, even if people end up downloading rather than getting it in the mail.

If only Shipit did the Xubuntu Alternate CD as an option there would be even more partygoers.

Beans

First of all i think the real reason people use an OS is because it works for them.. the only reason pple should stop using ubuntu should be because of its inferiourity when compared to other distros.. cus i dont get it.. why leave something that works all because its getting too popular..does popularity affect the performance of an OS.. oh I get it these pple left ******* in the first place bcus windows is popular..so if windows with all its rubbish just owned 1 percent of the PC market .. many of this pple would rush to it as the ideal OS... It doesnt make sense..
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast