Thread: [SOLVED] Virtualbox- moving a windows install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Virtualbox- moving a windows install

I have a Lenovo N100 that came preinstalled with Win XP pro. I have converted mostly over to Kubuntu, but there are a few windows only apps that I have to have access to every once in awhile. I am the perfect candidate for virtualization. However, Lenovo only provides recovery discs, not a fresh copy of XP pro. How can I use my license for XP pro to stick it on a virtual machine? (I do have XP pro media, if that helps, from another computer)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Virtualbox- moving a windows install

Hello, I would use the XP from your other computer with the license number (or how that is called, I don't use Windows any more) from the Lenovo box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where do they hide the license number in the registry these days?

Beans

I can never remember where it is in the registry, but there are many programs that can get it for you. My personal favorite is Belarc Advisor (google for Belarc) gives you a great list of everything your system has any any MS keys you may want to write down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by koolguynet View Post
    Where do they hide the license number in the registry these days?
    On the cd box/case I guess?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I ended up having to use a spare copy of XP pro I had laying around. Lenovo does not include the Product Code since they use recovery discs (hard drive images). I was able to recover the product code through the registry using software from www.magicjellybean.com, but it turned out to be an OEM key which won't work with retail media.

Right now XP pro is running in VirtualBox. I am happy with it, but a little pissed that I had to use my license on a work laptop. Whatever...I wasn't using it anyway. Thanks for the help!