Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Emulation How-To Links

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Game Emulation How-To Links

Just building a list of links to How-Tos for emulation for various systems. This list isn't complete, so I am looking for input/opinions. No flame wars though please. I have NOT tested all these emulators personally, so some in this list may just be junk/dead. I am mostly trying to make it a list of native Linux emulators. I made an exception for the 2 pc98 ones, because there simply isn't any Linux ones I know of, and they are almost flawless in WINE. Also, do not ask about ROM's, ISOs or BIOS images in this thread. I am trying to make a useful list for everyone, and I would rather it not get deleted. Besides, no one will answer those questions here.

Nintendo Entertainment System
    FakeNes (S)
    ROCKnes (S)
    FCEUX (S) (How-To)
    GFCEU (Repositories)
    Nestra (S) (Repositories)
    TuxNes (S)
    NEStopia (S)

Game Boy/Game Boy Advance
    TuxBoy
    Virtual GBA (S)
    Visual Boy Advance (S)
    Boycott Advance (S)

Super Nintendo
    ZSNES (S) (How-To)
    Snes9x (S) (GTK How-To) (Repositories)
    BSnes (S)

N64
    Mupen64 (S) (How-To)

Nintendo DS
    DeSmuME (S) (Repositories)
    iDeaS (S)

Nintendo Gamecube/Wii
    Dolphin (S)

Sega Master System/Game Gear
    SMS Plus (S)
    Dega (S)
    Osmose (S)
    MasterGear (S)

Sega Genesis/Sega CD
    Gens (S) (How-To)
    DGen (S) (Repositories)

Sega Saturn
    Yabause (S)

Sega Multi
    Kega Fusion (S)

Playstation 1
    ePSXe (S) (How-To:2)
    PCSX (S) (How-To)
    PSX (S) (How-To)
    PCSX-Reloaded (S)

Playstation 2
    PCSX2 (S) (How-To:2)

Neo Geo
    GnGeo (S)

Atari Jaguar
    Virtual Jaguar (S) (How-To)

Atari 2600
    Stella (S)(How-To)(Repositories)

Atari STE/
    Steem (S)
    Hatari (S)

Commodore (Pre Amiga. eg Vic-20/C64 plus more)
    VICE (S)(How-To) (Repositories)

Commodore Amiga
    UAE (S) (Repositories)

DOS
    DosBox (S) (How-To:2)

PC98
    Anex86 (S) (No good English howtos I could find. It's a winblows app, so you will need to run it/install it with wine. Runs HD images, but for some reason it won't do floppy images.)
    T98-Next (S) (No good english howtos. Another winblows app. Installs and runs with wine. This one will run floppy images and hd images, but it has no english localization. Also, the window isn't resizable, so you can't run fullscreen.)

Sinclair ZX Spectrum
    Fuse (S)

Multi
    XE (S) (How-To) (famicom (nes), gameboy, gamegear, mark3, megadrive (Genesis), neocd, neogeo, neopocket, pcengine (TurboGrafx), sg1000, superfamicom (SNES), wonderswan)
    Mess (S) (Repositories) (to many to list. Everything from soup to nuts.)
    MAME (S) (How-To) (Repositories) (to many to list. All arcade related.)
    Mednafen (S) (Repositories) (NES, Atari Lynx, GameBoy, PC Engine (TurboGrafx 16), PC-FX, SuperGrafx, NeoGeo Pocket, WonderSwan, SMS, Game Gear)
    Raine (S) (Multi arcade)
    OldSpark (S) (Multi arcade)
    Last edited by Felson; November 15th, 2010 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Game Emulation How-To Links

Nice thread

I just started a new application a few weeks ago that is going to make the emulation front a lot easier in Ubuntu. Hopefully in about a month I'll have a beta ready.

I haven't named the application yet, but its going to be a universal interface for all supported ubuntu emulators - a front end for launching roms, configuration of individual emulators and even going as far as letting the user know if they need a bios image with an interface to upload them to the correct location.
    So far I have mednafen fully supported and I'm going to be adding support for each emulator one at a time. As there are multiple emulators that support the same system, there will also be a setting where a user can specify which emulator to use to open specific ROM types. This thread will definitely be a great help for me to support as many emulators as possible.

I'll be setting up a launchpad site as soon as I get some free time. After I'm finished I want to learn packaging and get on the MOTU team and work on providing this application as well as packaging as many emulators as possible. If anybody is interested in helping, please PM me.

Some others to add to your list:
    gngeo - Neo Geo
    raine - various arcade
    mastergear - sega master system
    virtual jaguar - atari jaguar (runs a few games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jondecker76 View Post
    I just started a new application a few weeks ago that is going to make the emulation front a lot easier in Ubuntu. Hopefully in about a month I'll have a beta ready.
    Any updates on your project, jondecker?
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jondecker76 View Post
    Nice thread

I haven't named the application yet, but its going to be a universal interface for all supported ubuntu emulators - a front end for launching roms, configuration of individual emulators and even going as far as letting the user know if they need a bios image with an interface to upload them to the correct location.
    So far I have mednafen fully supported and I'm going to be adding support for each emulator one at a time. As there are multiple emulators that support the same system, there will also be a setting where a user can specify which emulator to use to open specific ROM types. This thread will definitely be a great help for me to support as many emulators as possible.

I'll be setting up a launchpad site as soon as I get some free time. After I'm finished I want to learn packaging and get on the MOTU team and work on providing this application as well as packaging as many emulators as possible. If anybody is interested in helping, please PM me.

Some others to add to your list:
    gngeo - Neo Geo
    raine - various arcade
    mastergear - sega master system
    virtual jaguar - atari jaguar (runs a few games)
    yeah , you are so professional , i like,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool list, thanks!!
    Have you found any 3do emulator? Looks like the only one that exists, FreeDO is M$ only

Beans
    Distro

Sweet. can't wait.

Added the emulators you listed to the list. Also, if you have any links to Linux How-Tos for any of them, that would be awesome. They don't need to be from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the list!
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Don't forget GameBoy *hint hint*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One of the mods really should sticky this one, way too many people are going to find it useful.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro

@Tux0r I "think" all the "Nintendo Entertainment System" emulators do GameBoy as well.... Adding it to that line.

Edit:
    LOL sorry. Just saw you are responsible for TuxBoy. Added. Does it do NES as well? Or just GameBoy? So I can note that on the list.
    Last edited by Felson; November 15th, 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast