Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Make Ubuntu Look Like XP for Mom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Re: Make Ubuntu Look Like XP for Mom

Seriously? You would want to make Ubuntu look like one of the worlds most unreliable mass produced pieces of digital horror ever?! Seriously, if you can't figure out why some would be offended by this topic (which is in the wrong part of the forum anyways) then you should take everyone's advice on convincing your Mom of Ubuntu's superiour nature. I can understand making it look like what she's used to, but what she's used to is viruses, pop-ups, and phising scams. Windows gives you all that plus the headaches. You would be far better off convincing you mom to learn Ubuntu/Linux, and buck up the man hours to teach her, rather than attempting a fake Windows/Ubuntu off-spring than can only utter "kill me" over and over at the grotesqe unholy union of trying to make it look like something it's not.

Oh, and I know this post is very, very old, but I just HAD to put my two cents in. As for giving advice to this guy; just buy your mom Windows 7, or teach her Ubuntu. If nether of those are an option, then try using a rarely functioning version of Windows XP, take a screen shot of the desktop with the start menu AND icons. Then just place Ubuntu custom launch application icons over those. It would look like Windows. For the splash screen there is pictures of Windows login screens out there. Just use those as the login background. Bam! Fake unholy Windows using Ubuntu's far better system.

Honestly, I joined this forum community because of this post. You guys are awesome, and far more patient than I am with pro-Windows users. Not only that, you guys actually helped this dude even if the idea of making Ubuntu or any distro look like Windows is aweful. Ubuntu ALREADY looks enough like Windows. Whatever the case may be, I'm happy to join a community of people that volunteer their time and patience. The people that comment on a comment is silly (and they get me commenting on the commenters comment, if that makes any sense).

GO UBUNTU PEOPLE!
    Last edited by Jeramiah; November 7th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Make Ubuntu Look Like XP for Mom

I've done it before for the sake of comfort for two of my family members. XP, Vista, OS X, 7, Windows 98- all doable in Gnome. Just use a mixture of themes, emerald, Gnomenu, Globalmenu Applet and Docks for OS X stuff, etc. etc. It's quite simple.

But I think that, after a couple of months with it, you could explain to her that it's Linux, change the theme, and then show her all the cool stuff you can do with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Make Ubuntu Look Like XP for Mom

<------------ Not a Mod...but....

<close thread>
    Necromancing
    </close thread>
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

Beans
    Hidden!