Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless on Fedora 8

Beans

Re: Wireless on Fedora 8

I had to uninstall Network Manager to get any networking...

the old one was working fine... they could at least keep it in the repos
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Wireless on Fedora 8

I DLed the OpenSUSE DVD and the Fedora 8 DVD this weekend and fought them until I finally gave up. I have OpenSUSE installed, but I think I'm gonna put something else in it's place.

The battle just to get wireless, bluetooth and a simple GUI desktop is ultimately frustrating. The small problems I had with Ubuntu in the beginning were nothing compared to the nightmare of Fedora 8 and OpenSUSE 10.3.

Don't get me wrong. These two free OS's are at the top of the game. Very smooth and very nice looking. There is very little documentation on the web, or it is hard to find, unlike Ubuntu.

Thanks you, Ubuntu developers. I didn't realize how good we had it over here in Ubuntu land.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

OpenSuSE worked great for me. Best Distro ever at hardware detection. Fedora too (I just had to fight with the network manager - btw I have an Ovislink Airlive 2000PCI wireless card and it detected it perfectly which is very rare, so far Sabayon, OpenSuSE 10.3 and Fedora 8 only got it right so far).

My wireless was the reason I quit Ubuntu, I got it to work in about 2 weeks with tons of help from the this forum, and I had to make a nasty compromise:
    either have only wireless, or only have wired network (and no way I could get my wireless card in monitor mode).

So I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure
    First they ignore you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RebounD11 View Post
    OpenSuSE worked great for me. Best Distro ever at hardware detection. Fedora too (I just had to fight with the network manager - btw I have an Ovislink Airlive 2000PCI wireless card and it detected it perfectly which is very rare, so far Sabayon, OpenSuSE 10.3 and Fedora 8 only got it right so far).

My wireless was the reason I quit Ubuntu, I got it to work in about 2 weeks with tons of help from the this forum, and I had to make a nasty compromise:
    either have only wireless, or only have wired network (and no way I could get my wireless card in monitor mode).

So I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure
    Yeah - I thought that strange also that I couldn't get wireless working on Fedora 8 and got it to work on OpenSUSE before I got tired of the hassle and reformatted the HD and kept Ubuntu. I think that liked Fedora better, though, just wish that the DVD I installed from (64 bit) was better at starting up a GDM session and detecting wireless.

This is 2007, almost 2008, and the two biggest names in Linux can't get as much going on first boot as Ubuntu can.

Ubuntu still has my business and will for some time to come.

But I still may try Fedora in the future, maybe.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Yeah - I thought that strange also that I couldn't get wireless working on Fedora 8 and got it to work on OpenSUSE before I got tired of the hassle and reformatted the HD and kept Ubuntu. I think that liked Fedora better, though, just wish that the DVD I installed from (64 bit) was better at starting up a GDM session and detecting wireless.

This is 2007, almost 2008, and the two biggest names in Linux can't get as much going on first boot as Ubuntu can.

Ubuntu still has my business and will for some time to come.

But I still may try Fedora in the future, maybe.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but those two can never support as much out of the box. Ubuntu includes Atheros drivers and non-free firmware, while OpenSuse and Fedora (for free software reasons) wont go near that stuff with a 10ft pole. So while yes, you are absolutely correct about Suse and Fedora not working OOTB on as much hardware, it is a philosophic choice.

And how are suse and fedora the biggest names in linux? Ubuntu is the biggest name in linux hands down, followed by red hat. I would call suse third, and fedora a rather distant 4th. *note* this is my understanding of the outside world's view of linux, not the linux community itself.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    And how are suse and fedora the biggest names in linux? Ubuntu is the biggest name in linux hands down, followed by red hat. I would call suse third, and fedora a rather distant 4th. *note* this is my understanding of the outside world's view of linux, not the linux community itself.
    I would say RedHat and Fedora go kind of together like SuSE and OpenSuSE. At least this is how I see things
    First they ignore you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans
    Distro

What I really meant by that was that OpenSuse/SUSE and Fedora/Red Hat are the most popular in the "professional" world. They are the versions that are developed more heavily for professional and industrial applications than any other.

Not that Ubuntu or any other isn't up to the task, but there aren't many companies in the professional world that would allow you to use a "free" OS as opposed to Red Hat or SUSE.

AAMOF - I understand that the only version of Linux that can be used while working on sensitive Gov't apps is Red Hat.

Also in sensitive Gov't stuff that the Windows machines aren't allowed to access any type of network outside of a local LAN. No internet. Period.

I'm gonna try Fedora again in the future. Just not right away. I know I will need the .rpm and Red Hat skills soon. Maybe after the holidays. I just expected more out of Fedora than I got.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123