Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCFluxboxOS -- Forget Fluxbuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

PCFluxboxOS -- Forget Fluxbuntu.

Yesterday I saw a new distribution called PCFluxboxOS added to Distrowatch waiting list. It is a light-weight, PCLinuxOS-based distribution with Fluxbox as the window manager.

I downloaded the iso (only 235MB) called TinyFlux 1.0 Final, burnt CD and running now on Live CD mode (it can also be installed). Before running directly I also tried it in QEMU setting 128 MB RAM for it and it was very good.

I was waiting for Fluxbuntu 7.10 Final but my wait is over.
    I am going to recommend this distribution for 128 MB RAM machines.

For those who are interested here is the link of the web site:
    http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PCFluxboxOS -- Forget Fluxbuntu.

i have tried it a few weeks ago... nice... there is only one thing that makes me still use fluxbuntu - that is the package repositories... pcfluxboxos (pclinuxos in general) is lacking in that area... i know it is not that important, but you can't make me leave those ubuntu repositories and .deb files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'll certainly give this a try but, like meborc, I have found the PCLOS repositories a bit lacking. SAM Linux (the XFCE version of PCLOS) is also very good but limited by by its Mandriva/PCLOS heritage.

That's why I prefer antiX (Mepis/Debian) and Fluxbuntu (Ubuntu/Debian) for leaner installs - although DSL and Zenwalk with fluxbox also fly on lower spec machines. I find the setup and default menus on antiX to be the most new user-friendly.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: PCFluxboxOS -- Forget Fluxbuntu.

Seems pretty nice. I'd probably stick with Fluxbuntu because I'm an Ubuntu fan but I think PCFluxboxOS is pretty nice.

Man... when will Fluxbuntu come out, It's killing me.
    iteam - A, soon to be, revolutionary Linux game.
    Go->Site Go->Thread

Linux user number 455707 http://counter.li.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by kagashe View Post
    Yesterday I saw a new distribution called PCFluxboxOS added to Distrowatch waiting list. It is a light-weight, PCLinuxOS-based distribution with Fluxbox as the window manager.

I downloaded the iso (only 235MB) called TinyFlux 1.0 Final, burnt CD and running now on Live CD mode (it can also be installed). Before running directly I also tried it in QEMU setting 128 MB RAM for it and it was very good.

I was waiting for Fluxbuntu 7.10 Final but my wait is over.
    I am going to recommend this distribution for 128 MB RAM machines.

For those who are interested here is the link of the web site:
    http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/
    so you're saying to forget fluxbuntu because YOU got tired of waiting for the final? how convincing.

One could always build one's own version of Fluxbuntu 7.10 final, add the Fluxbuntu wallpaper and theme, and call it Fluxbuntu. I'm sure no one would complain. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    so you're saying to forget fluxbuntu because YOU got tired of waiting for the final? how convincing.
    a bit on the harsh side, don't you think?what's with this comment?

Great post kagashe, Fluxbuntu support leaves much to be desired, we can never have enough devs, do we?
    AMD Sempron 2400+/512Mb DDR400/ATI Radeon X1300 -->Ubuntu 8.04
    AMD K6-2 350/ 512Mb PC133/ATI Rage --> Ubuntu minimal+LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    One could always build one's own version of Fluxbuntu 7.10 final, add the Fluxbuntu wallpaper and theme, and call it Fluxbuntu. I'm sure no one would complain. ...
    Frankly I don't use these light distributions myself but recommend to others (after testing) who have old PCs and not willing to add RAM. But I find serious problem with the RC iso (it is booting on some CD drives but not on many others), reading this I am scared to download RC to test (it may fail on my CD drive as well). I hope this bug will be removed in Final but the wait is getting so-oooo long, therefore I am posting this just to tease you.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    That's not how I read it at all. Rather, it seems he was waiting for Fluxbuntu eagerly, but then found something that was so good he didn't feel the need to wait for FB.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    That's not how I read it at all. Rather, it seems he was waiting for Fluxbuntu eagerly, but then found something that was so good he didn't feel the need to wait for FB.
    that's what i got out of the title. kthx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast