Beans

Ubuntu in Ca

Hi,
    I'm in Dublin,CA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu in Ca

Hi, I was checking out your technology show and podcast, "GeekSpeak". This is transmitted out of the Silicon Valley / San Jose area, where you live. These guys do not seem to be clued-in to Ubuntu at all. Maybe you could offer to provide an interview with the group, so you can explain the operating system. In a recent show, they actually said the only options available to desktop users these days was Vista, XP, or Mac. Let's get your tech guys in Silicon Valley informed about the best operating system available today, Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

sdbeng,

Hello and welcome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rennen01 View Post
    sdbeng,

Hello and welcome.
    Hi,
    Actually, I decided to build an ubuntu server with applications like the phpbb forum, database and Rtracker.
    I'd like to show people here in CA, we can do interesting things with ubuntu/linux distro, and not only depend on mac or windows to be succesful.
    Thank you for your support!
    sdbeng

Beans

I began searching for an database (mysql or postgress) to be set on ubuntu 7.10 server. Is there any recommendation or tutorial on this? I'd like to make users access a web-based api, add/type information, and be able to get a report or print out.
    I'll keep on searching for those packages. I appreciate some information if available.
    Thanks!

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
    has instructions on setting up your LAMP stack.

Also, the server CD has a seed that'll automatically set that up for you during the installation process.

As for phpBB, there's a package for it in universe.

Beans

Hi Flannel,
    Thanks for the tips. Actually, I did set up a phpBB forum in my server and it is working great(after I fixed the cookie issue) with Dyndns service. I was looking for another way to access the database through the web.
    My plan is to set it up in a secure environment for users to access the front end and somehow create records with several fields to be filled out by clients with an option to print or export them to excel & pdf format.
    Is that something you being experienced?