Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Beans

Re: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Geez, Fedora 8 is out already? It feels like F7 came out 2 weeks ago.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I really like Fedora after giving a proper go not so long back, and I'm currently downloading 8.

I am still an Ubuntu *****, but Fedora is probably the best other distro I have tried, its the only one I have used as much as Ubuntu when it was on my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I want to add my 2 cents...I run a triple boot ubuntu 7.4, Win XP and currently Fedora 8 on my HP laptop. Ubuntu is still winner for raw SPEED and overall
    ease of using. Fedora 8 is pretty, but sluggish compared to Ubuntu. I leave Ubuntu for my normal use and Win XP for games. The extra partition is used to try out new distros and to date, Ubuntu is still the winner. If anyone else is running multi-boot (3 or more - I sometimes run 4 on the same HD), please respond...

Moved to Fedora/Red Hat forum.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsdude View Post
    I Ubuntu is still winner for raw SPEED and overall
    ease of using. Fedora 8 is pretty, but sluggish compared to Ubuntu. .
    I am surprised to hear someone say Fedora is slower (because version 7 seemed faster than Ubuntu). IMO Ubuntu is the rules the Linux desktop- though Fedora fonts are great. But I wonder if Fedora has better network tools?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    I am surprised to hear someone say Fedora is slower (because version 7 seemed faster than Ubuntu). IMO Ubuntu is the rules the Linux desktop- though Fedora fonts are great. But I wonder if Fedora has better network tools?
    Fedora is way faster for me
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

I haven't canoodled with Fedora 8 as much as I'd like, but Fedora 7 easily outclassed ubuntu in speed. Certainly not in terms of yum vs apt, but just system performance. Something else I heard was that Fedora isn't as power intensive as Ubuntu. But considering how much that matters, heck if I know.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Don't listen to this FUD. Fedora has excellent repos, and they actually keep them up to date, unlike Ubuntu.
    Pot.Kettle.Black. You just commited FUD yourself. Yes, some packages in Fedora are more up-to-date than Ubuntu, but just as many in my experience are less up-to-date. I always check out new releases of Fedora and this has been the case since at least Ubuntu 'Breezy'. Doesn't make any difference though. How frequently do you actually need the absolute newest version of an app. It happens, but not very often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    Pot.Kettle.Black. You just commited FUD yourself. Yes, some packages in Fedora are more up-to-date than Ubuntu, but just as many in my experience are less up-to-date. I always check out new releases of Fedora and this has been the case since at least Ubuntu 'Breezy'. Doesn't make any difference though. How frequently do you actually need the absolute newest version of an app. It happens, but not very often.
    Fedora 7 even has an update to the 2.6.23 kernel, In my experiance at least with programs I use fedora has been more up to date with latest versions. Ubuntu wouldn't even update that crappy gaim beta in fiesty.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Fedora 8 is very nice. I have 2 machines on it now.

nix4me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast