Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

so im thinking about trying fedora 8

of course, not as a change from ubuntu, but along side it. thought it might be good to broaden my linux horizons...

anyway, with fedora 8 out today, i thought now would be a good time to try it out. the only question i have is:

what does fedora use as its default desktop environment, and which one should i use?

atm im using gnome on ubuntu, but if fedora is good with kde, i think i might give it a try.(sorry if im asking the wrong crowd of people, just wanted to see if you guys had any experience with it!)

Beans

Re: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by rabid9797 View Post
    of course, not as a change from ubuntu, but along side it. thought it might be good to broaden my linux horizons...

anyway, with fedora 8 out today, i thought now would be a good time to try it out. the only question i have is:

what does fedora use as its default desktop environment, and which one should i use?

atm im using gnome on ubuntu, but if fedora is good with kde, i think i might give it a try.(sorry if im asking the wrong crowd of people, just wanted to see if you guys had any experience with it!)
    I love KDE, far more than gnome. But I find that Fedora just seems nicer under gnome. I would try the gnome live-cd to get a taste, and if you like what you see go ahead and install. If you need help, forum.fedoraforum.org is a great place, as is the fedora section of the other-os talk right here.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro

I'm downloading a copy via torrent now. I've never tried it before so i can't say anything about it. I think i need to try a few more distros instead of being stuck on ubuntu all the time. I love ubuntu but with all those distros out there i may as well try some of them
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Fedora is a rock solid and beautiful networking system that I would be using if not for Ubuntu. As many have stated before though- Debian package management is superior. There are fast Ubuntu mirrors all over the world waiting for my needs too! I did not find this to be so with Fedora. I think Ubuntu should keep adding Red Hat stuff such as system-config-print though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    Fedora is a rock solid and beautiful networking system that I would be using if not for Ubuntu. As many have stated before though- Debian package management is superior. There are fast Ubuntu mirrors all over the world waiting for my needs too! I did not find this to be so with Fedora. I think Ubuntu should keep adding Red Hat stuff such as system-config-print though.
    does fedora have repos like ubuntu? i saw on the website that there a media cd(for programs i now assume). if support for downloading programs like ubuntu(over repos or something similar) isn't supported or not supported well, im going to have to rethink this =/

Beans

There are repos through yum. I used to use Fedora, however now ubuntu is a lot better for desktop use. Also, theres not really a whole lot of bleeding edge software guides for fedora.

Beans
    Distro

i see...well then would something like red hat or SuSe be better?

Beans

Redhat would be worse, I'd like to say SuSE would be, but honestly I can't recommend it because of how ******* terrible YaST is (opinion)...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Fedora's boot screen is just plain awesome. I hope Ubuntu will do that some day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rabid9797 View Post
    does fedora have repos like ubuntu? i saw on the website that there a media cd(for programs i now assume). if support for downloading programs like ubuntu(over repos or something similar) isn't supported or not supported well, im going to have to rethink this =/
    Don't listen to this FUD. Fedora has excellent repos, and they actually keep them up to date, unlike Ubuntu. Fedora IS a bleeding edge software distribution. I am running Fedora 7 (released very close to feisty) and through the standard repos I have pidgin 2.2.2, kernel 2.6.23.1, etc. (Feisty still has Gaim beta 6 or 7, i forget, kernel 2.6.20, etc.). All the other goodies are available. Plus, if only one package is made for a product, 9/10 times it is an rpm, not a .deb. Adobe flash, for example, not only has a fedora rpm, but also a fedora repo that you can add, so yum will automatically update flash whenever a new version comes out.

Yum used to be rather slow. But in Fedora 7 and then 8 it has been sped up a lot. The mirrors are plentiful, despite what the above poster said. Perhaps not as much worldwide, but Fedora has far more US mirrors. Overall, yum now is of comparable speed and is significantly more powerful than apt, making it (IMHO) the best package manager available.

At least try it out. If you don't like it, you can easily switch to another distro.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast