Thread: Virtual Box and viruses/firewalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Virtual Box and viruses/firewalls

This is my issue. We all know that Windoze is prone to viruses and a firewall is required to deter hackers. We all rejoice that Linux is not.

I have A linux Box with XP as a guest. Do I need virus checkers and firewalls etc on it?

Also my dad has an XP box with Gutsy as a guest. Is accessing the internet from Gutsy virus/hacker free or is it prone as it is a Windoze box?

thoughts ...
    "Frankly Bill ... I don't give a damn!"
    Linux User # 434139
    Using Ubuntu 10.10 on my eeepc and loving it!!

Beans

Re: Virtual Box and viruses/firewalls

When within a regular VM, especially Xp, do install a good firewall and anti-virus program, unless you do what I mention further below. You can download a free version of ZoneAlarm and a free version of Avast anti-virus. Install within the VM and keep them up-to-date.

Read page 33 of the latest Virtualbox user guide about snapshots. You can use that to discard changes.

And/Or, you can download the free personal version of Returnil and set it so all changes are discarded on shutdown.
    http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

thanks, I will read up on Returnil and see if that is what I need.

In an XP box with a Gutsy guest, is the PC at risk when accessing the internet with Gutsy as a normal XP installation is?
    "Frankly Bill ... I don't give a damn!"
    Linux User # 434139
    Using Ubuntu 10.10 on my eeepc and loving it!!

Beans

In an XP box with a Gutsy guest, is the PC at risk
    Any XP host exposed to a network would be at risk. Use a firewall and anti-virus on a XP host, even if you have a hardware router with built-in NAT firewall (Do not depend on XP Windows firewall ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
    When within a regular VM, especially Xp, do install a good firewall and anti-virus program, unless you do what I mention further below. You can download a free version of ZoneAlarm and a free version of Avast anti-virus. Install within the VM and keep them up-to-date.
    I second the notion of an Avast!/Zone Alarm tag team. I used that for years when I was using windoze regularly and I had very few problems.