Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Linux > Vista.... but what about Leopard?

Beans

Re: Linux > Vista.... but what about Leopard?

Quote Originally Posted by baumgc View Post
    The thing about time machine is that it's included and really dead simple to use.

Yes. They didn't create it.
    Yes. There are better solutions.
    But. People are so ignorant of backing up (maybe not on the forums here), but it needed to happen to show people how important it is.
    I keep my hdd partitioned so i can kepp all of y important stuff on one partition and have my os's on other partitions. Then if an OS takes a crap on me i just have to reinstall and load all of my programs back in. So much easier than running Time Machine or Shadow Copy.

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    I'm pretty sure osx is a good operating system but I will never use it because of the hardware restrictions.

I want to choose my own hardware.
    *cough*osx86*cough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The only experience I have with Apple hardware is one of their older servers. It's not bad. I kind of like it. Everyone else I know hates that server's guts.

Oh well. They're all on Linux servers now thanks to me so I couldn't care less.

Beans

In reply to molom's post:

I have read that Mac's are not very popular as servers & I have also read that some experienced programmers adore programming with the tools supplied in OS X more than any other environment.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback on the programming side of things LaRoza, once you have become familiar with your forthcoming Mac.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I have read that Mac's are not very popular as servers & I have also read that some experienced programmers adore programming with the tools supplied in OS X more than any other environment.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback on the programming side of things LaRoza, once you have become familiar with your forthcoming Mac.
    Well, Vim is available for Macs...

I look forward to it. Mac users like XCode for C, C++ and Objective C. I will be working with Objective C a bit to get a feel for it. It is popular with Macs.

The languages are standard, so it will be just the tools that are possibly new. The same compiler is used as well (gcc).

I can't wait to get it...

Let you all know when it comes.

Beans

I know that Macs aren't popular for servers. This is because big companies normally use windows server edition because its their standard and other companies that don't use windows know that linux/bsd is as stable as mac and more flexible, so why spend so many bucks. I just suggest not using windows for servers, because can you imagine a server having a BSOD? That must be a horror.

Macs are far the easiest, even though I like Linux and BSD more than any other OS. I owned a iMac G5 for 4 years and the hardware sucks, the motherboard broke and the DVD burner broke twice within a year. This is because imacs and mac mini's are like laptops, they are so compact they heat up so much that they eventually break. My imac was always burning hot after using the DVD drive. But a Power Mac is really good. I'm not going to talk about how much the macbook air sucks though. And another thing I don't like about Mac is how expensive the hardware is. I can make a pc with the imac 24" specs for half the price. But I LOVE Mac OS X. Its stable, good and fast. But I can't afford all this commercial stuff. I always look for the cheapest and I love Open Source and Linux. I love customizing and learning new things everyday and that is one thing you can't do with a mac.

I know you can program on Mac and Windows, but Linux is more flexible and is normally the environment programmers use.

Cheers,
    molom

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829