Thread: Suggestion for Newcomer Readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Suggestion for Newcomer Readers

I think Full Circle Magazine is a great resource. I have a suggestion though. I think there should be some small blurb somewhere near the front, letting people who know nothing, nothing at all, about what Ubuntu is and where they can learn more.

You have a challenge. I understand. You are producing a document for the community, when some have little or no linux knowledge and when some are kernel developers. It's known as targeting your audience. But, there should be something that allows the "Lowest Common Denominator" to get involved, too.

I would like to start leaving print outs of FCM around at coffee shops, and I'd like people with little computer information to take it with them and find out more. But I am afraid the publication, in it's entirety, will not help the newcomer to get involved. A tiny paragraph at the beginning that described Ubuntu and included a weblink, then everyone could find out more, as they read through the document. Not everyone is familiar with using Google to search out every term, in which they do not know.

Thanks for your hard work, everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Suggestion for Newcomer Readers

I think its a good idea. If that's there, you can tape an Ubuntu disc to th back, and then people will have the means of trying it.
    Romans 3:23
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 5:8
    Romans 10:13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Suggestion for Newcomer Readers

Quote Originally Posted by matthewcraig View Post
    I think Full Circle Magazine is a great resource. I have a suggestion though. I think there should be some small blurb somewhere near the front, letting people who know nothing, nothing at all, about what Ubuntu is and where they can learn more.

You have a challenge. I understand. You are producing a document for the community, when some have little or no linux knowledge and when some are kernel developers. It's known as targeting your audience. But, there should be something that allows the "Lowest Common Denominator" to get involved, too.

I would like to start leaving print outs of FCM around at coffee shops, and I'd like people with little computer information to take it with them and find out more. But I am afraid the publication, in it's entirety, will not help the newcomer to get involved. A tiny paragraph at the beginning that described Ubuntu and included a weblink, then everyone could find out more, as they read through the document. Not everyone is familiar with using Google to search out every term, in which they do not know.

Thanks for your hard work, everyone.
    Fair point.

I could shrink down the 'magazine created using' bits and shrink my Editorial piece on page 3 down to accommodate maybe 1/3rd of page 3 with a box saying 'What is Ubuntu Linux?' and give a brief explanation of Ubuntu and a link to some information pages...
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

could make a newcommer webpage with a link saying new? go here {link}
    My Blog - http://www.cat-blog.org Linux User - Registered Linux User #45641
    Full Circle Magazine Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by catfacts View Post
    could make a newcommer webpage with a link saying new? go here {link}
    would that be a very good idea considering that many people print out the magazine?