Thread: VMware Server installation asking for Linux source in Ubuntu Studio Feisty

Beans
    Hidden!

VMware Server installation asking for Linux source in Ubuntu Studio Feisty

I've been installing VMware Server in several PCs running Ubuntu Feisty without any problem. I had to install xinetd before I installed VMware though.

On the other hand, I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 running Ubuntu Studio Feisty. I tried the same method as above, but the installer stopped when it asked for Linux source. I had no idea where the source is (I'm a newbie here). I installed Ubuntu Studio the same way I installed Ubuntu Feisty (all default selections).

So, has anybody experienced the same problem? Any solution? I wish to keep running Ubuntu Studio instead of the normal Ubuntu, because I need some of the programs installed by default (and installing them one-by-one is simply out of the question).

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VMware Server installation asking for Linux source in Ubuntu Studio Feisty

I didn't remember the exact error message, so I decided to re-run the installation. Here's the error message:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
    If I pressed Enter (for default), another error message appeared:

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

So I looked into the /usr/src directory, and there is no linux subdirectory. There are only linux-headers-2.6.20.16 and linux-headers-2.6.20.16-generic (also linux-headers-2.6.20.15 and linux-headers-2.6.20.15-generic).

I tried both .16 directory, but still VMware install refused to continue. The error message:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.20-16) does not match your running
    kernel (version 2.6.20-16-lowlatency). Even if the module were to compile
    successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

So, anyone can help? I really don't want to use the vanilla Ubuntu cause I need some of the programs already installed by default in Ubuntu Studio.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VMware Server installation asking for Linux source in Ubuntu Studio Feisty

Heheheh.... Silly me.

It turned out that I only need to run Synaptic, and install the low-latency file from the list. And.... everything went OK.

Hope this is useful for anyone who has the same problem.