Thread: Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

UBUNTU LINUX - 2D and 3D GAME CREATORS/MAKERS
    Searching for software, like the classic Windows Games Factory, (was also known as Klik and Play 2) very easy and fast learning curve,
    "Click and Play" or "Drag and Drop" style (objects like graphics, audio, scripts, etc.), with very simple scripts.
    Most of cases you just dont need to write a single line of code!
    Related links: Games Factory 2 home | Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer home | In wikipedia, here | In "Click Team" home page, here

Searching in Youtube, for examples, i found:
    kjellm87 says: "I used "The Games Factory" and "Photoshop" to create it. Enjoy." here and here
    3D splash screen for the CD-ROM version of Clickteam's Klik & Play (1994) here
    Multimedia Fusion here, here and in 3D here

Ok, that was nice... On Windows... With all strange licences fees for the games that you develop, and sell, $$$, etc, etc...
    Now, how about software or help, for develop the games i have in mind, in a easy and fast way, in my Linux?
    So caled games creators, game developers, 2D or 3D games engines (usefull code)...

GAME MAKERS - Open Source or Free (From posts and search) (Alphabetical order)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Allegro - "Allegro library provides C/C++ programmers low level routines commonly needed in game programing"- home - games
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alpha Z313 - "It is called Alpha Z313 you can look", "I will be making all my programs .deb files for Ubuntu Users" - here - games
    News: dark joev: "I am currently working on a game maker for linux. I am looking for more people to help becaues there is currently no contributers."
    Blender - Blender!? A 3D Modeler here, Why? "Blender is the first of the 3D packages to integrate a game engine as well as tools for editing game-logic and creating interactive animation"
    Home, Newbies, Link about the game engine, Finished projects, Topics, -- Videos: Fluids, Physics, Tutorials (awesome ones there)
    News: Not sure about this, but some people say that Blender will have 3D Game Engine Ogre included in future, well if this is true, then this could be a SERIOUS ultimate tool for game development in open source community. Cant wait to see it!
    BYOND - Licence: (Free ???, and for Windows only ???) - "Free Multiplayer Gamming" - home - games
    "
    It is composed of: Dream Maker, Dream Daemon, The Hub, Dream Seeker" - here
    ClanLib - "Its primary focus is on games, although not limited for that usage only" - home
    Crystal Space 3D - (3D engine) - home - example game video
    Game Editor - Licence: (Many doubts here, Linux version seems to be free, but...) - home
    Mokoi - "Create a game that is able to be play on almost any platform": home
    "Game for Mokoi can be create 2 ways, by hand or with the game editor Alchera": Alchera
    News: "Mokoi Gaming is looking for skilled people with development knowledge"
    Ogre 3D - (maybe the best open source 3D engine around) - home
    Ogre linux install: here - Debian package: here - Export models from Blender: here
    Hydrax plugin (water effect): here - video1 - Gallery: here - 3D Game example: here - More games:
    here
    >> Open Source Video Games using Ogre 3D engine, examples: Wings Of Fury 2
    >> Commercial Video Games using Ogre 3D engine, examples: MotorM4X
    They say: (...) "A common question is 'can I create commercial applications using OGRE under the LGPL'? The answer is an emphatic yes" (...)
    Note: Google Summer of Code 2008 Student Applications Open! - This event helps to improve this (OGRE) 3D engine.
    OFFTOPIC: Portugeuese / Brazilien MS Visual C++ and Ogre tutorial video: link and easy start learning c++ here: videos
    phpMMORPG - Creates MMORPG games - home
    pygame - (They say: Takes the "C++" out of "Game Development"), ( Python modules designed for writing games)
    "under the LGPL licence, you can create open source, free, freeware, shareware, and commercial games" - home -games

GAME MAKERS - Commercial (From posts and search) (Alphabetical order)

Arensus Crossword Puzzle Editor (€29,99 to €69,99) - Only for crosswords - home
    BlitzMax ($80) - Blitz3D ($100) - BlitzPlus ($60) - "The ultimate in game creation tools and utilities",
    "a very streamlined compiled basic syntax language" - home
    Stagecast (from $79.95 to $755.00) - "Create interactive simulations, stories, games, and more" - home

Resources (For programmers... Well, at least you must have or gain some skills, check here)

Tools (Libraries, etc):
    Lua - "Powerful, fast, light-weight, embeddable scripting language" and "it can be used for both academic and commercial purposes at absolutely no cost." - home
    OpenGL - News: "OpenGL ARB announces an update on OpenGL 3.0" - home | SDL - "Cross-platform multimedia library" - home
    Lazarus - (Class libraries for Free Pascal that emulate Delphi) - home
    A must see 3D Game Engines List - http://www.3dengines.de/feat_patch.html
    Integrated Development Environments (IDEs): (IDE examples for Windows are, Microsoft Visual Basic Studio or MS Visual C Studio)
    Bloodshed Dev-C++ - "for the C/C++ programming language" - home | Code::Blocks - "Meet the most demanding needs of its users" - home - Ubuntu nightly builds: download
    Anjuta DevStudio - "For C and C++ on GNU/Linux" - home | Eclipse - "For C, C++, Java, etc" - home
    Code (C, C++ Resources, examples, tutorials, etc):
    C++ tutorials / learning videos, a lot there, from absolute beginner to expert: videos
    Very Complete Starting Guide for Beginners - link
    Beginner C++ - link, simple code examples here | Physics with C++ - link - link - code
    SOIL - "C code for loading BMP/PNG/JPG file" - home
    Off-Topic:
    • Want to play really good native linux games? Try this list: TOP Ubuntu/Linux/Windows games
    • Want to help in a open source game project? (Similar to "Gunbound" and "Worms") Its called iteam. C, C++ coders, we need you! Check here
    • Comments, ideas, etc. (posts) from people that use any king of software for game creation, are welcome.
    • Help in maintain this thread updated, corrected and organized is welcome. Post your comments, so i can edit this. Thanks.
    Resources:
    Resources for making your games. Graphics, sounds, music and other things that you can use:
    http://www.pygame.org/wiki/resources
    Last edited by jorgerosa; September 29th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

ooh, thanks for that.. will take a good look at these
    My Projects:
    Waiting to start a new php project[/URL]

Beans

Not free, but BlitzMax is one that I would recommend to anybody - it is a very streamlined compiled basic syntax language that focuses primarily on games. It is also cross-platform.

Anyone looking to get into game development should check it out
    www.blitzmax.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jondecker76 View Post
    Not free, but BlitzMax is one that I would recommend to anybody
    Ok, added. Thx, jondecker.

Beans

Blitz(Stuff) like BlitzMax is good. I would recommend learning C++ though.

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine. "The OHRRPGCE is a free open-source utility that you can use to create your own RPG game in a style similar to the classic Final Fantasy games on the NES, SNES and GBA which have so shaped the RPG genre. "

Licensed under the GPL. Windows and Linux version (older version was just for DOS if I remember rightly)
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

We are trying the best 3D engine (open source) to fit in isoccer, (project link) in the way i found this:
    A must see 3D Game Engines List (38 in total) - http://www.3dengines.de/feat_patch.html
    Last edited by jorgerosa; April 7th, 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Beans

Blender, awsome!!

I use Blender for a lot of things and I just wanted to mention that the new version of Blender is out as of the middle of October, Version 2.48

They now have SOFTBODY PHYSICS IN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!

http://www.blender.org/

Amazing program, if you want to do ANYTHING related to images, movies, simulation, 3dmodeling, or game creation. Blender is the way to go.

{
    while: 1
    Blender can
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

For those who want to give it a try there is also Maratis Game Engine, it's pretty good, and it has a graphical Editor for those who are just starting to learn how to make games, it also has the power C and Lua.

http://maratis3d.org
    P8B75-M LE, Intel i7 3770, ATI Radeon 6850 2GB, 16GB DDR3, TL-WN821N, 2x WD 640GB Black, 1 Vertex 3 60 GB (OS Boot Drive).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Ubuntu / Linux - 2D / 3D Game Makers - List

Quote Originally Posted by damvcoool View Post
    (...) there is also Maratis Game Engine (...) http://maratis3d.org
    I didn´t know about this one. Just tried it, and its quite amazing! Very nice GUI too. Better... It is open source and I´ve found that it uses OpenGL, Bullet Physics and can read ".meshes" files! So I can guess it uses Ogre3D engine, or part of it... In fact, these are all my favourite libs!... I´ll give it a try, for sure! Thanks for share it!