Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Like in KDE That You Don't See on Other DEs?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Question What Do You Like in KDE That You Don't See on Other DEs?

I like GNOME, tried KDE but didn't get why people prefer it. Please enlighten me.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What Do You Like in KDE That You Don't See on Other DEs?

some people just prefer different looks and things. I use KDE and find it has more configuration options than GNOME does. For example, where, in GNOME am I supposed to change the length of a panel?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like KDE for the look and feel of it. It has a similar, though not exact, look to it to Windows. This seems to help out newbies alot when getting used to Linux. I also like the ability to change the DE in several ways that Gnome just doesn't have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I like the integration of the applications in KDE, and just the KDE apps in general are amazing. Quanta, K3b, Kontact, Koffice, digiKam, katapult, Amarok, Konqueror are all fantastic. The look and feel is also nice, though Gnome also has a good look and feel as well. It's really just a personal preference.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Kde is extremely configurable. You can change the look or the way just about anything works.

Gnome is very limited in what you can change. KDE has a more intuative feel. Right clicks are available to add things like shortcuts, edit menu.

Gnome I had to search all over just to figure out how to add an application to the menu.

Plus Gnome has a terrible file manager makes it almost impossible to use.

While konqueror is ok, dolphin works pretty well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Well, I got a hard time to get used to KDE. The main reason why I decided to use it is for the soooooo good applications... but when I got used to the look and feel and got able to play a bit deeper into KDE's configuration, I ended up prefering it over GNOME (that still keeps my heart for some unlogical reason).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I find KDE to be very clunky. Like an unorganized closet. (like my closet) and I just cant get it the way I want it. Gnome is so clean. Yeah there are less options but I like it the way it is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    I like the integration of the applications in KDE, and just the KDE apps in general are amazing. Quanta, K3b, Kontact, Koffice, digiKam, katapult, Amarok, Konqueror are all fantastic. The look and feel is also nice, though Gnome also has a good look and feel as well. It's really just a personal preference.
    +1 except for the konqueror part, just not a fan myself (dolphin's nice tho!) but like the last line reads just a matter of personal preference.
    X2 3800 @ 2.4(stock) ---- M2N SLI Dlx ---- 2 GIG OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 @ 960 5-5-5
    EVGA 7900 GS ---- OCZ GamerXtreme 700
    Non-ubuntu-compatible Leadtek PVR 3000 Dlx

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Although I use GNOME just now I do like KDE because of its excellent selection of apps and it seems to be developing faster than GNOME (i.e. they have more of a vision of what they want to do in the future), like KDE 4.

The main reason I don't use it just now is because programs crash rather too frequently for my liking in KDE (usually I see the KDE Crash Handler a couple of times a week) whereas in GNOME things just don't crash very often at all.

I would recommend trying KDE if you haven't and stick with it for a month or so. You might end up preferring it.

Beans

kio_slaves and true network transparency are absolutely amazing. KDE apps can work on files on my server as if they were on my own PC better than any OS or DE I have ever used. Plus it mounts my ipod in such a way that I can drag/drop files onto it to transfer them, and KDE takes care of writing to the itunes_db. And then add in that KDE's native apps are amazing (amarok, kwrite/kate, konqueror, krita... basically everything except kopete), and it's just (for me) the best option out there.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast