Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

Beans

firewire connection to SA 8300HD

i am trying to connect my laptop running ubuntu 7.10 with mythbuntu added to my cable receiver. the SA 8300HD has 2 firewire ports, both of which register as a good connection...

Code:
    # plugreport 
    Host Adapter 0
    ==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0090f500004c9518
    ------------------------------
    libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
    libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Node 1 GUID 0x0014f86e7a100000
    ------------------------------
    oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
    oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
            channel=1, data_rate=1, overhead_id=0, payload=146
    iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
    but when i try to test the connection it always fails. i have the receiver set to a broadcasted channel i am assuming is not encrypted and have tried this on both firewire ports (rebooting when switching just to make sure)

Code:
    # ./firewire_tester -p -P 0 -n 1 -r 5
    Action: Test P2P connection 5 times, node 1, channel 1
    P2P: Testing...Failed
    and

Code:
    # ./firewire_tester -B -P 0 -n 1
    Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
    Broadcast: Testing...Failed
    Broadcast Fix: Failed
    i have tried things like:

Code:
    # plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].bcast_connection=1
    as well to no avail. i haven't been able to find any documentation on what to do when the connections just fail every time and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

the long term plan is to use a different machine than my laptop to set all this up so let me know if it would help to do a clean install from the 7.10 install disk on the real machine i am going to use.

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

I actually had this exact same problem. According to the FCC your cable provider must provide you with an enabled firewire port (on an HD cablebox) upon your request. So my first question is... did you request that? Since you're actually getting a reading using plugctrl, I assume it IS enabled.

Now the part I had to figure out on my own - is that the cable company in reality only should broadcast the over the air stations, and any non-free channels they have the right to encrypt. I get the same results on my firewire connection when i'm on a non-free channel (i.e. cartoon network, G4, or anything i couldn't pick up with an antenna). Try switching your cablebox to a known over-the-air channel and see if p2p works. Mine works 100% of the time on those channels when connecting p2p.

You may also want to take a look at the documentation and see if you need to add some sort of firewire "primer" script as well. But my initial guess is that you just have your box tuned to a non-free station.

Beans

thanks for the help.

i didn't request a firewire enabled box. i too was assuming that the output from plugreport was a confirmation that the firewire is active. does anyone know if that is an unsafe assumption?

i tried channel 9 which is FOX where i live. i am pretty sure that it is a freely available over the air channel but i will try to confirm that tonight when i get home.

i haven't set up a primer yet because i haven't actually gotten to the point where i have setup the capture in mythTV. i figured if firewire_tester is failing every time that it wouldn't do any good to try yet. i do plan on setting up the primer as documented in the setup when i get everything running though.

a guy at worked asked me today if it would help to reboot the cable box now that the firewire is connected. i hadn't thought of that, i had only rebooted my laptop. i am going to try to reboot the cable box tonight to see if it helps.

thanks,

steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have had very varying experiences with Firewire. Your best bet is to shutdown your machine, unplug the stb for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in, then power on your laptop.

After all of that is done, run plugreport again. You may find that your default node is different than what you have been seeing. Mine, for instance, is 2, but, periodically, it will just up and switch on its own to 1 or 0. I have found that heat can be cause of this. Once all of this is done, try the firewire tester to see if you get any connection.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Beans

has there been a solution to this problem? im looking to do the same thing
    -J

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you don't specially ask for a box with firewire enabled, don't expect it to be hot. Even if the port is on there, the likelyhood that its active without you asking is low.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also, some providers in some areas put 5c content protection on every channel (whether they are supposed to or not), which would give you this result as well. In my area, they even do it on a show by show basis (football games on the local networks have had 5c content protection turned on but other programming on the same stations do not). Do the SA have a diagnostic screen where you can check the 5c setting like the Motorolas do?
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

in my experience, many SA boxes will show "valid" firewire connections on both stb ports with plugreport
    but only one is fully active- so be sure to test both ports before assuming there is a problem.

in cases where both ports show valid connections but fail upon testing, the two most likely causes are:

that the ports aren't fully enabled- in which case your cable company should enable at least one to
    comply with FCC regs- or, more likely, your cable company is incorrectly setting the CCI flag to 0x02,
    in which case you are most likely out of luck. this happened to me and there's really no way to get
    them to comply with the law.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I too am wondering about this. I use Comcast in the central MS area. I have not gotten to the testing phase yet to even see if the ports are "seen" on my mythtv box but plan to do that tonight hopefully. I am not too concerned about the HD stuff at the moment but mostly the channels above "standard teir" because that is where my cable company moved all the "good" discovery channels. If I cannot get the firewire to work I will have to look into getting a second pvr-500 to use with a seperate cable box specifically for those channels. That would not be ideal though. I will post my findings.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i have a SA3250HD and I can capture local channels thru firewire just fine. Im in Milwaukee, WI on Time Warner Cable HD package. The problem I had was/is that the channel changing doesn't/didn't work. Then the next problem was that I couldn't figure out how to get the digital lineup from schedules direct to only have the channels I get over firewire but then also have a second one that would allow ALL digital channels which I capture from the STB over s-video into a PVR-350. So I gave up on firewire, I am not an HD fanatic so the HD downgraded throught the s-video is fine for me. I can even capture HBO and ALL channels I subscribe to that's the awesome part. I use a serial ir-blaster to control the STB and with the help of another person with this box, he helped me with a bash script that checks to make sure the STB is on and if not, it turns it on, then changes to the correct channel to start recording. For some reason I was noticing my cable box being off despite me not even touching it. Maybe Time Warner sent an update that makes it shut off. Anyway, here's the website that talks all about it.
    http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/...ox-stb-is.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast