Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

It mentions DVD playback. Do you think that's licensed (as Linspire has it) officially, or do you think it requires libdvdcss2?

Beans

Red face Re: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It mentions DVD playback. Do you think that's licensed (as Linspire has it) officially, or do you think it requires libdvdcss2?
    It could be licensed but I honestly was thinking it needs libdvdcss2, but I know nothing of the gOS development other then that it is a e17 Ubuntu derivative. There is no deep information available on line.

I figure at the very least I may have to install an e17 enabled Xubuntu on it for them next time I see them.

Does anybody know anymore information about gOS, other then that the "g" stands for Google(unofficial) and/or Green; and that this is Ubuntu derivative that runs e17 as the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am interested to see a review of this computer too. I am in particular interested in the power of this processor. I just wish the unit had a gig of memory, but beyond that, it fascinates me.

Beans

Red face Re: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

I was just reading this straight forward non-critical review:

Wal-Mart Sells $199 Linux Computer
    Email this Story Oct 31, 4:27 PM (ET)

By PETER SVENSSON
    NEW YORK (AP) - Linux, the free operating system that's a perpetual underdog in the desktop market, is showing up in computers in Wal-Mart stores this week for the first time.
    About 600 Wal-Mart stores will carry the $199 Linux-powered "Green gPC" made by Everex of Taiwan, Wal-Mart said. It was available online on Wednesday.
    A comparable Everex PC that comes with Windows Vista Home Basic and more memory costs $99 more, or $298, partly because the manufacturer has to pay Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) (MSFT) for a software license. Both computers come with keyboard, mouse, and speakers, but no monitor.
    Linux is maintained and developed by individuals and companies around the world volunteering on an "open source" basis, meaning that everyone has access to the software's blueprints.

Linux is in widespread use in server computers, particularly servers that host Web sites. But it hasn't yet made a dent in the desktop market. Surveys usually put its share of that market around 1 percent, far behind Windows and Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s OS X.
    Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien said it is stocking the gPC in about one in eight stores to test the demand for an open-source product.
    Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) (WMT) sold Linux computers online - but not in stores - starting in 2002 at prices as low as $199. Computers from several manufacturers were available for several years but they didn't find much of a market, and they're gone now.
    The variant of Linux on the gPC is called gOS and is derived from the popular Ubuntu variant. It's heavily oriented toward Google's Web sites and online applications, like YouTube, Gmail and the company's word processing program, all of which can be used only when the computer is connected to a broadband line.
    Google's push into desktop applications is relatively new, and gOS, the Los Angeles-based startup behind the software, sees it as crucial in overcoming consumers' reluctance to leave the familiar Windows environment.
    "We feel the timing is right for open source because of that," said gOS founder David Liu. The company has fewer than 10 people on staff but gets help from volunteers in the Linux community.
    Whether value-minded shoppers who would be enticed by a $199 PC will also be interested in making the jump to Linux remains to be seen. The operating system isn't known for ease of use and mainly attracts the tech-savvy, though Liu said his aim was to make the gPC something his mother could use.
    The gPC has a low-end processor from VIA Technologies, plus 512 megabytes of internal memory, an 80-gigabyte hard drive and a combination DVD drive and CD burner.
    Everex says the processor is very energy efficient, meriting the "Green" part of the name.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8SKEBB00.html

I believe as Linux users and especially as Ubuntu users that we need to support this effort to bring Linux to the real market.

I am very interested to see how this turns out, I have no unreasonable expectancies.

I do find it interesting that gOS is based on Ubuntu 7.10 and has e17 as it's default WM.

gOS could be the new Ubuntu; meaning gOS could be to Ubuntu as Ubuntu is to Debian. I don't know, I only hope for the success of any Linux endeavor, especially one based on Ubuntu.

Beans

I have found the gOS's developers blog:

http://www.daveliu.org/

Interesting guy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'm totally buying one, I feel good supporting the cause.
    supporting walmart's cause? lol, ok.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    supporting walmart's cause? lol, ok.
    No different then supporting Dell's cause.

The cause is Linux.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Of course you would buy it, it comes with E17!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Of course you would buy it, it comes with E17!
    Of course,...you know me well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    No different then supporting Dell's cause.

The cause is Linux.
    Dell and Walmart's business ethics are quite different. google it.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast