Thread: Setting up development environment for Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 in Gutsy

Beans

Setting up development environment for Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 in Gutsy

I just installed Gutsy and everything went fine. I want to start learning PHP so I need to install Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5. I found this guide and it seems pretty simple:

http://services.tucows.com/developer...-gutsy-gibbon/

But I have found other messages saying people are having problems with apache and gutsy.

Several questions:

1. Do you think I should wait a week to let any compatability issues between apache and gutsy get fixed.

2. I have mySQL already installed. I don't remember the version though. How do I find the version of what is currently on my computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Setting up development environment for Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 in Gutsy

I'm not using Gutsy, so I can't give you any advice. That question would probably be more applicable in the Servers subforum, anyways.

To get the mysql version, just type mysql -V at a bash prompt.

Cheers!
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans

Re: Setting up development environment for Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 in Gutsy

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I just installed Gutsy and everything went fine. I want to start learning PHP so I need to install Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5. I found this guide and it seems pretty simple:
    If your sole purpose is to start learning and using solely as a development environment I suggest xampp http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

I don't know if there is a package for it but it's very simple to untar and run (even from your home directoy). The only issue you might have would be the fact that you already have mysql installed.

xampp also has ties to the PDT for Eclipse for development.